Upgrading 2.5.2 with very large SQl db.

Upgrading 2.5.2 with very large SQl db.

by Jean-Francois Lepage -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings,

I have a client with a Moodle 2.5.2 install with over 3500 registered users and the db file is 365Mb!

My goal is to incrementally upgrade to the latest 3.4.x version. Since this is a live site, I will install on a second server for some testing. I have downloaded Moodle 2.5.9 (latest possible upgrade from 2.5.x), exported the MySQL db and the backup of the Moodle Website (through Moodle backend).

Here are my issues:

1- DB file is over 365Mb! It will take an eternity to upload from my PC to the server.

2- The site uses a dozen of plugins that are not supported by 3.x

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Wednesday, 16 May 2018, 7:10 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Francois Lepage

Re: Upgrading 2.5.2 with very large SQl db.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I'm assuming that when you say you are incrementally upgrading that means you have every second version of Moodle, v2.7, 2.9, 3.1, 3.3 and 3.4 and you are upgrading on your pc as you go. Good plan. 365Mb is not big unless you are on dial-up or are being severely throttled by your service provider. Talk to them, they might be able to help facilitate the upgrade.  

1. Have you physical access to your client's server? Can you place the DB onto a USB and upload it on their premises or have the system's manager upload it, or go in and upload it yourself. 

2. Many plugins come and go, but there is often more than one plugin of similar type or perform similar functions that can be substituted for one that is no longer being updated. Not always the exact same way, but can be substituted. 

Upgrading is not an onerous task, but it can be tricky at times. Don't rush it and make sure you have an evolving config.php file, Now, I suggest that you evolve the database, and that is all. Once the database is set to go, upload it, or have someone install it, AFTER you shut the site down for maintenance, then just change the code base in one action.   

Good luck. 

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Thursday, 17 May 2018, 8:25 AM)

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Upgrading 2.5.2 with very large SQl db.

by Jean-Francois Lepage -

Hi Colin,

I first tried to download and install moodle locally but I wasn't successful. So I then tried to do it on the second server and this is where after 5min the SQL import progress was not showing any, well, progress. I can't ask my ISP for more bandwith, this is the biggest ISP in Canada, which is Bell so they would laugh at me.

I have found someone to do the upgrade, I just have to convince the owner that the upgrade is not just a good idea but a must since it is way too old.

Cheers!