General help

One Moodle site for several organisations

Picture of Javier Tejera
One Moodle site for several organisations

I have a Moodle site running in my organisation. We have some partners interested in use it as well, and we think that we can save a considerable amount of money and time if we share the same platform (so we have one administrator).

My idea is to create managers roles and let them run their courses with their own content and students. 

Just want to make sure that:

• Managers can have a cap for the number of enrolled students 
  • Courses are not visible for students and managers of different organisations
  • Managers have a common course where we can share common content. This course should be hidden for the students

This is just a summary, but where I am really interested is to know if you would expect any problem of sharing the same Moodle within different organisations.

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: One Moodle site for several organisations
Particularly helpful Moodlers

".... expect any problem of sharing the same Moodle within different organisations."

Will give just one example without a lot of detail ...

Company A doesn't want  to see blogs, wikis, chat modules in the pick list when they start to create an activity/resource.   So you, as an admin, hide those mods.

Company B, however, does want 'chat'.

The hiding of those is system wide ... no alternatives to choose for Company A no and  Company B yes.   That's a stock Moodle.

There is a  multitenacy fork of Moodle that supposedly allows ... and one could find the repo for it and install ... but support for that is usually not a topic in these community forums.

While it sounds like more admin it's not that much ... virtual apaches ... company A has companya.site domain, company B has companyb.domain ... they are separate instances ... own users, own modules, own addons, etc.

IF those are installed via git ... it's realatively easy to update / upgrade all sites or just the companies that want latest/greatest as opposed to company that is more 'conservative' and prefers to be near 'leading edge', but NOT on 'bleeding edge'.

My experience with such setups?  1 ISD, 2 high schools, 4 junior highs, 8 or so elementary schools. 1 beefy server. all sites on same box ... spartans.tld, warriors.tld - example of the 2 HS's.  Each campus could do as they liked ... without having to worry about how what they were doing affected the JHS or Elementary campuses.   Each campus used LDAP for authentication restricted to campus OU's.

Updates to Moodles ... for all 14 instances took about 1 hours time ... and that was with backups to code, DB, and minimal data backups.

Am certain others might add their two cents. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Javier Tejera

Ken, many thanks. I think the multitenancy is quite a lot for us. The domains or same interface is not a problem, but they should totally independent from each other.

Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC

Javier,

I run a Moodle site that functions in the manner you described. 

1. There are about 5 different organizations using the site.
  2. Each organization has its own Moodle category and theme.
  3. Managers are assigned to a particular category.
  4. Courses are contained within a category.
  5. All users are directed to their Dashboard page after logging in. At that point they see courses for which they are enrolled.

There are some limitations with this type of organization.

1. All users must login through the same interface.
  2. Managers are not able to add new users to the system, unless they are granted full Admin access or you modify the Manager role capability.
  3. Users are global to the system. So it is possible to enroll a particular user to a course in any organization.
  4. In order to seal off courses and structures from users, you must strategically hide menu blocks or add CSS code to hide links.

To answer your questions:

• Managers can have a cap for the number of enrolled students  - I'm don't fully understand what you mean. There is no way to limit the number of students a Manager can enroll in a course.
  • Courses are not visible for students and managers of different organisations - This takes a bit of work to accomplish - see note #4 in the above list of limitations.
  • Managers have a common course where we can share common content. This course should be hidden for the students. - You should be able to do this by course enrollment.

There is multi-tenant version of Moodle you might consider, IOMAD. I've just started working with it, but at this time recommend it with some reservation. It will do most of what you want, but requires a lot of configuration.  Documentation is essentially non-existent, and it lacks a large user support forum. It is basically a layer on top of Moodle that can be used to structure the underlying Moodle courses and users. Moodle is not aware of IOMAD (very few changes were made to Moodle core), so you need to manage users and courses through the IOMAD interface. What IOMAD does well, is fully isolate managers and users from other organizations on the site.

Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Javier Tejera

Floyd, thanks.

Taking into account the description of your site, it's quite similar to what I am looking for. Just some considerations:

For me it's OK that all users login through the same interface. The only essential point is that they should "feel" that the platform is just for their own organisation, therefore categories and users are hidden between them.

Well, this is the idea:

moodle graph independent organisations

I think the bigger problem is "Managers are not able to add new users to the system, unless they are granted full Admin access or you modify the Manager role capability", which I think it's not a good idea in this case. I guess the only option is that a central administrator can manage all users, but this can lead to a dependency that organisations won't feel confortable with.

• Managers can have a cap for the number of enrolled students  -Even though there is no way to limit the number of students a Manager can enroll in a course, I think it's possible to have max number of enrolments in a course, correct?

Regarding IOMAD, I think will be out of our possibilities. We lack of IT skills in-house and we have little money for this project. 

What do you think?

Javier

Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

If you can run Moodle then you can run Iomad. It's free just the same. 

Picture of Javier Tejera

Howard, it scares me a little bit because of the installation. I will figure out if I can do it.

Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

The installation is no different to Moodle. 

Picture of Javier Tejera

After reading a bit, actually I think Iomad is the best option for what I am looking for. Still a bit scary, but I will give it a try. Thanks

Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC

Javier,

Sorry for my late reply - I've been busy on another project.

The only way I know to limit the number of registrations in a course is through self-registration.

I noticed in your later post that you are going to try IOMAD.  Best wishes!  I'm also digging into that more deeply.  Please keep in contact via Messaging or through this forum. Perhaps we can help each other.

If IOMAD does not work for you, you can easily roll back your site to Moodle. Just delete the IOMAD code and reinstall plain Moodle code (same version as IOMAD). You can use the same database and moodledata, but you will need to edit the config.php (or just use the config.php file from the IOMAD installation).  If you reuse the same database, there will be a few extra IOMAD tables remaining, but that will not affect Moodle.

Floyd

Sketch...

Or you can install IOMAD on a Test Server, separate to your production server. Then rolling back to Moodle isn't a problem and doesn't place your production Moodle at any risk.

"Proof of concept" stuff like this shouldn't be done on production servers.

Picture of Javier Tejera

Absolutely, totally right. I will do so. Many thanks!

Picture of Javier Tejera

Hi Floyd,

I will try to do so. 

It would be great to be in touch through private messaging. I will be in touch.

Many thanks!

Picture of Willard Nyamunokora

Hie Floyd

I am pretty new to Moodle and IOMAD. I was looking for something almost similar to Javier so I followed this thread and I successfully installed IOMAD. The problem now is the IOMAD user roles and permissions are very confusing to me. I created a company A as well as a user named treda for the company with a company manager role. I then logged into the IOMAD Istallation as treda and navigated to the Iomad dashboard where I am greeted with the screen below.

My end game was to host a couple of schools on a single installation. I would then assign a single user per school who will be able to create courses, add teachers and students specific to that school (in my case I thought the company manager would achieve this). Is IOMAD capable of doing this. If it is please guide me through the process. I have a feeling I am pretty close but I am just missing something especially on user permissions but can't figure out what.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Picture of Howard Miller

Did you create the company manager via the Iomad Dashboard or did you (as you suggest) create a user and then give them the role through Moodle's role assignment interface. It will only work when done through the Iomad Dashboard functions. 

Thanks Howard

I created the user through the Iomad Dashboard. First I created the company. Then I navigated to the assign department users/managers for the company. Then under the Advanced dropdown I selected Company manager. Trying to login with this user is then giving me the above mentioned error. Hopefully I am explaining in a way that does not confuse you.

If someone can hear me. I desperately need help. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I re installed Iomad and I am having the same results. I read somewhere about the Iomad Admin client. I can't find it on the Iomad dashboard. I can only see three user options upon creating a user ( user, company manager and department training manager). I also read about permissions but I can't find where to edit these permissions. Please Please help I am so stuck. sad sad

Picture of Howard Miller

You'd be better posting a description of your problem in https://github.com/iomad/iomad/issues

I can't think why this wouldn't work. 

Thanks Howard Lemme try that

Thanks Howard. Figured from the link yu gave that it was a bug in IOMAD34. I'm using version 33 and its working. Now I have a new challenge I need help on. After creating a Company, When I try to create a new user. only three options are given to me. 1. User 2. Department Manager 3. Company Manager I would like to be able to utilize the Teacher and Student role (just like moodle). how can I use these roles in IOMAD. Or if there is a way I can edit the three IOMAD users to achieve Teacher and the Student roles. Thanks in Advance.