Installing and upgrading help

OPcache and WinCache working together, or can only one or the other be used at once

Picture of Paul L
OPcache and WinCache working together, or can only one or the other be used at once

Currently using OPcache on Windows 2008\IIS server Moodle 3.1, looking to upgrade moodle to 3.3 and read documentation recommending WinCache be enabled for better moodle performance. php.net seems to suggest both be enabled as well.

Can I use OPcache and WinCache together for any benefit?

I thought using OPcache made WinCache redundant but now it looks like WincCache offers some additional benefits? Is there any downside to having both enabled?

---

currently php 5.6 but also looking to upgrade to 7.1 soon

Average of ratings: -
Wellingtonia Tree
Re: OPcache and WinCache working together, or can only one or the other be used at once

Hi

did you get anywhere with this?

I was just looking at the same thing and wondering do I put both on or will that just make the two of them fight with each other?

Regards

Heather

Picture of Usman Asar
Re: OPcache and WinCache working together, or can only one or the other be used at once
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Heather/Paul, 

Both have different uses, where OpCache speeds up page loads and reduces memory required as it keeps static content in it's cache, WinCache shines when server gets under load (database fetches), both work together absolutely fine in fact they compliment each other, OpCache use to come as a part of winCache module until PHP 5.4 I believe, later when OpCache become part of PHP extensions they are installed separately. 

Only downside is the plug-in available on Moodle is old (https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=cachestore_wincache), and doesnt work with latest versions of Moodle (confirmed working until Moodle 3.0 (may work for higher versions as well), but hadn't worked with Moodle 3.4 and above. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Wellingtonia Tree

Thank you.

As I'm on php7.2 and Moodle 3.5 having looked at your mentioned plugin I've abandoned that. I've gone for a manual install and now have both opcache and wincache on my site.

Opcache did come as part of the 7.2 install, but is not enabled by default.

I only got opcache to work yesterday but I can say that now that I have enabled opcache and wincache it does seem to be picking up speed on the log in or maybe that is optimism, but it certainly hasn't made it worse.

Heather

Picture of Usman Asar
Heather, I am not very sure of WinCache working on its own, as i remember that plug-in I mentioned above is installed in Moodle, and then WinCache is setup using Moodle cache configuration, for moodle to make use of WinCache, though it can be installed on server, but will it work like the way it should, I am not sure (havent tested on latest versions of moodle).

enabling OpCache does drastically improves page load times and reduces memory required to load the page, I have done extensive testing of both OpCache and WinCache (enabling both together, and enabling them separately), the immediate effect on performance of moodle page loads can be instantly seen by OpCache (you can test yourself by turning on performance and see for page load times and memory required), winCache however wont make you feel that something has improved, but like I mentioned WinCache shines when server is under load, the developers of WinCache had released versions for PHP 7+ means it does work for them to release latest verions, but again, if it works on moodle without using that cache plug-in or not, I am not sure. 

you can visit following pages to see how WinCache is setup in moodle.

https://sunithamk.wordpress.com/2015/11/12/enable-wincache-with-moodle-web-app/

and

https://ttcshelbyville.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/speeding-up-moodle-lms-on-windows-iis-7-5/

Wellingtonia Tree

Hi

thank you.

I didn't think it was doing particularly well.

I've looked at the plugin and it is for an older version of php and an older version of Moodle.

I tried putting it in the cache folder to install it and all that did was break Moodle.

I need to find some other way of configuring it into Moodle.

Thank you

Heather

Picture of Paul L

Thanks for all the great info on wincache.

Since we are on moodle 3.3 and the caching plugin doesnt appear to be supported beyond v3.0 I wasnt planning on pursuing this.

I am looking into other caching options though. Just reviewed Redis for sessions but it appears that is not fully supported on windows although developers have made some workarounds, Windows not getting a lot of love these days ! Any recommendations for a moderately busy (400 simultaneously logged in) Windows environment?

Picture of Usman Asar

Paul, just OpCache would work fine on its own as it's recommended  by moodle developers as well, rest depends on your own server configuration, if you have SSD drives then raw PHP 7 would even suffice. if you have combination of drives (mechanical and SSD), then prefer keeping temp files directory on SSD drives. 

Picture of Paul L

thanks I will continue looking into SSD, my initial requests were met with a luke warm response, seemed to be cost prohibitive at the time.