Workshop

Increased Student Confidence and Quality of Team-Based Presentations

Picture of Ali Hastie
Increased Student Confidence and Quality of Team-Based Presentations

Thought I would share our Peer Assessment (Workshop module) experiences surrounding a project we carried out with team-based Vet Nursing students with their practical public presentations, which is related to the post I had made earlier: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=352404

As part of SQA's (Scottish Qualification Authority) HNC Vet Nursing Graded Unit 1 assessment, the Vet Nursing students within their teams are required to plan, develop and deliver an educational presentation that is designed to promote the importance of animal health and welfare to the public.

During analysis of the practical presentation element, research was carried out with previous HNC Vet Nursing students and had found the lack of communication, collaboration, team dynamics, and the fear of presenting publicly, where is some cases lowering the student's individual grades.

Therefore, we had the idea of digitally video recording the six Graded Unit teams 'prototype' presentations, uploading to the team's YouTube channel as Unlisted and having an allocated student member within their team submit to the Workshop module within Moodle. 

Working collaboratively and using the guidelines and criterion set within the workshop module, a student (who originally submitted their team's video presentation) accessed their allocated Graded Unit team's video presentation will all team members present providing supportive feedback and constructive criticism within the Workshop activity. See screenshots below.

The lecturer analysed the team’s peer review feedback and reinforced the peer reviewer’s valuable guidance. Once the feedback was released to the teams and within their Moodle discussion forums, the teams quickly advanced in self-assessing their own presentation performance utilising the criterion and favourably integrating the recommendations within their regular rehearsals leading up to their public presentations.

The peer assessment phase considerably increased the student’s confidence and the quality of their public presentations where 30 out of the 36 students received an A-grade for their individual presentation performance. Positive feedback from the students included: “The peer feedback gave me an extra boost to my confidence and due to this, when I actually carried out the presentation on the day, I felt quite calm.”

A full online report on the project will be available in July.

GroupA
lecturer feedback

Peer review

Peer review

Peer review

Overall feedback

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
Picture of David Mudrák
Re: Increased Student Confidence and Quality of Team-Based Presentations
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

This is just great. Many thanks Ali for sharing this experience and looking forward to the full report!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Looks very nice. It is a real shame the Video Assessment 20140728, from the Japan Hub, plugin has not been updated to work with the latest Moodles. It was developed for just this type of application.

Picture of Ali Hastie

As promised, please see the link below to the Higher National Certificate (HNC) Vet Nursing Graded Unit project online report (developed using Mahara) on how the project team Analysed, Designed, Developed, Implemented and Evaluated this particular project.

https://goo.gl/NGq1bp

Also, you can download the PowerPoint presentation providing a brief overview of the project.

Cheers

Ali

Picture of David Mudrák
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

Thanks Ali for sharing these! Also a nice example of using Mahara for these presentations! Well done.