General help

Front Page announcements

Picture of Moshe Nitzani
Front Page announcements

Hello

I am using Moodle 3.1.4 at the moment.  One question I am being asked by graduates who still wish to keep their Moodle account alive but wish to stop receiving email notifications from the Front Page announcements forum.

Is there any way to exclude users from receiving these messages?

Many thanks

Moshe

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: Front Page announcements
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Moshe, no, not individual users, it's part of the User's permission set. Unless you create a new Role, and shift Users to that Roll, which is tedious and generates a lot of work for the Admins, I would just as likely say, "Sorry, you have to tolerate it."  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Moshe - make sure your front page news announcements is set to 'optional subscription' in the forum settings and then tell your students that they must go and unsubscribe from that news forum.

Ray Lawrence
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Mary,

Wouldn't that enable all users to unsubscribe, thereby reducing the utility of the Site Announcement for active users?

(Hi, Moshe!) Yes

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

@Ray, yes I guess it would - I must have become too trusting in my old agebig grin

Picture of Moshe Nitzani

Hello everyone

Thanks for the replies.  Will have to look into creating a special Role for this purpose.  If anyone knows what I should 'Prohibit', it would help a lot and save me some time. Since this is a rare request, I guess I don't mind responding to those grads asking to be exluded.  To be honest, the mailbox the message goe to are provided by the institute and not their private ones, so I could just say no, but I was in a good mood yesterday...

Nice to hear from you Ray after all this time.  Hope all is well.

Moshe

John Provasnik at Moodle Moot US
Particularly helpful Moodlers

As an admin you do have the ability to edit that user's Messaging Preferences, and uncheck anything that says "email"

moi!!! it is what is is...
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, John, but doesn't that interfere with everything that sends an email? And to do that individually? mmm but then, an SQL UPDATE statement or perhaps a csv file that resets the option might.. just might do the trick... be a lot quicker and reusable, but a lot tricker as well I suspect. Interesting thoughtful