Hindi Font in Editor

Hindi Font in Editor

av Aditya Dubay -
Galle vástádusa: 11

Hi,

I am using Moodle 3.4

I want to know that how can I add HINDI FONT in text editor so that students can write there answers in HINDI.

Please let me know full process step by step.

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Vástádussan geasa: Aditya Dubay

Re: Hindi Font in Editor

av Colin Fraser -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Testers

Hi Aditya, it is my understanding that if the font is available in the font folder of the device, then it is accessible. What you may need to do is to make Hindi the default language of the Moodle. There are a number of other things that can void this though, for example, in a multi-language Moodle, the browser should be set to a preferred language then Moodle should be using that font. 

If you want to be able to use Hindi, or even Urdu or English or whatever in a multiple language answer then that might prove a bit more tricky. There is a plugin for Atto called FontFamily, by Pau Ocaña, Sara Tellez and the Catalonia Education Department I think it is, (my Spanish is rubbish...sperrer opp øynene ) which should allow you to add a Font Family to Atto. This might help or perhaps give you the essential source for modifying it for your own use. Good luck.  

Vástádussan geasa: Colin Fraser

av Aditya Dubay -

Hi Colin

Thanks for reply

I just want HINDI in text editor.

I am using TinyMCE and in CMS like DRUPAL I can write in Hindi in TinyMCE so I feel I can do it in Moodle too

av Mary Cooch -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

Hello there. Here is an earlier thread about Hindi font in Editor which might be useful.

Vástádussan geasa: Mary Cooch

av Aditya Dubay -

Hi Mary

Thanks for reply

I already gone through that but not got appropriate answer thats why i start this thread

av Colin Fraser -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Testers

You can set TinyMCE as your default editor in 3.4.x but I am not yet sure about v3.5. That might give you a solution, but I suspect you will have to add the font in the settings of TinyMCE. Personally, I prefer TinyMCE, Atto is still too immature to be really useful. I have students with Irlam's Syndrome, and Atto just doesn't cut it for them. Don't get me wrong, there is potential for Atto, but just not as useful as it could be at this time. 

av AL Rachels -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers

अलाबामा से हैलो।

I maintain the MooTyper plugin, and when developing different language keyboard layouts, I find myself needing to type in each of the languages alphabets, and this is how I do it.

Go to the windows control panel and click on, Language. On the, Change your language preferences, page click the, Add language, tab. Scroll down and find, Hindi, or any other language you want to add, and click the, Add, button. (I currently have 18 and usable in just two clicks.) After a couple of minutes, the new addition will be installed and available for use.

If you did not have it before, there will now be a new, Keyboard input method menu, at the bottom right corner of your monitor. Now, anyplace in Moodle that you can type, using any editor, Atto, TinyMCE, OR Plain Text Area, just select the lanugage from the list and start typing.

The down side to this is each student needs to do this on their own computer, but it is something they should know how to do anyway. The up side is that it works with whichever text editor they want to use.

Don't know about iOS, but you can do the SAME thing in Linux, with a very similar set of steps.

Vástádussan geasa: AL Rachels

av Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Translators
Al,

I don't use the GUI ("Text") editor, therefore may be ignorant. My question is why applications look after character encoding, whereas UTF is finally established and implemented in all the modern operating systems. ("originally designed by Ken Thompson and Rob Pike"! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8) And Moodle is full URF-8 ready! Those not involved, see the documentation in the Languages forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=43).

On Unix (Debian GNU/Linux, e.g.) one needs to install an input method like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibus. Then use hot keys to switch the keyboard between languages. In my case Ctrl-Space:
आपका नाम क्या है

Then even the terminal speaks Hindi smiler
Mielddus hindi-term.png
Vástádussan geasa: Visvanath Ratnaweera

av AL Rachels -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers

Hi Visvanath,

The process you describe for, Unix (Debian GNU/Linux, e.g.), is exactly the same as what I described for my Windows 10 desktop, and my Linux Centos server. Whatever language I select for the input method works in any input location I use, whether it it is a GUI("Text") editor, or a terminal window.

Basically, the only difference is in Windows, to switch via hot keys is Windows key+space, instead of Ctrl+space.

Vástádussan geasa: AL Rachels

av Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Translators
Hi Al

Thanks for the clarification. I misinterpreted you mentioning a Moodle plug-in! Very interesting approach https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_mootyper, BTW.

I remember the time, when people installed "fonts" on Windows, each having it own coding scheme. Glad to know that the nuisance is over now.

Talking of fonts, here are samples from a few languages of Indian origin, and a screen-shot to check the fonts.
तुम्हारा नाम क्या हे? (Hindi)
ඔයාගේ නම කුමක් ද? (Sinhalese)
உங்கள் பெயர் என்ன? (Tamil)

P.S.: Google Translate supports close to 100 languages!
Mielddus indic-fonts.png
Vástádussan geasa: Visvanath Ratnaweera

av AL Rachels -

I like the way things are handled now, so much better than before. I can remember back when vendors made a big point of how many "fonts" were included with their software packages. There were numerous times students would create something at home, and complain about it not "looking right" at school, and invariably it would be due to using a font at home, that we didn't have on the lab computers at school. I still have some old program disks and CD's here in my computer room that included hundreds of fonts. Never can seem to find the time to go through all that junk and get rid of it.