Hosting Moodle and More

Hosting Moodle and More

by Nuno Miguel Oliveira -
Number of replies: 2

Dear friends!

I have the Moodle 3.4.2 platform and want to upgrade to version 3.5.

At this moment I intend to acquire a hosting service, in which I can make all the customizations.

I use TMDHOSTING but it has given some problems mainly because they are very weak in terms of backups and security.

Somebody recommends some hosting service that for Moodle, wordpress, etc.

A hug

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nuno Miguel Oliveira

Re: Hosting Moodle and More

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You should probably wait until 3.5 is released!

I would always recommend a VPS of some sort. Most basic hosting services are too limited to run Moodle. That's not to say it can't be done (before anybody points this out) but Moodle is a much bigger deal than Wordpress.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nuno Miguel Oliveira

Re: Hosting Moodle and More

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I was familiar with TMDHosting several years ago, and they seemed okay at that time.  My guess is that you can pay them for backups and more security, if you wish.

Many hosting companies do not specialize in "moodle," so finding a moodle-specific hosting company can be challenging.  You might still be expected to manage some security, like an SSL, and do your own backups.  But many of these companies will help you, typically for an extra fee.  So a lot depends on what you are looking for.  For myself, I have been doing fine with GoDaddy.  (I don't own stock in GoDaddy, nor am I affiliated with them.)  GoDaddy doesn't do anything for moodle, they provide what I have found to be a pretty solid server platform.  I do my own backups.

Have you considered using a moodle partner?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)