Code integration in MOODLE

Code integration in MOODLE

by Cchtou Chtou -
Number of replies: 8

Hello everyone, in the context of my research studies I would implement an algorithm in MOODLEs code to learn users profiles. Can someone help me to get started what should I do to have the access to the moodle code and the rights of modifications? 

This would be very helpful.

Thank you very much

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Cchtou Chtou

Re: Code integration in MOODLE

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Cchtou, I've read this post several times, over a number of days, and I am sorry, but I can't get a clear picture of exactly what it is that you want. 

You want to develop an algorithm that you want to implement in a Moodle. The algorithm is designed to "learn user profiles". What exactly does that mean? You want to develop an algorithm that allows you to build a model of an average Moodle user?  You want to develop an algorithm to use as in a Cambridge-Analytica style? You need to be very clear about what it is you are trying to achieve. 

The other thing, "...access to the moodle code and the rights of modifications?" Firstly, it is assumed that you have a Moodle, you may not be an Administrator of that Moodle but you have access to a Moodle. It is assumed that any modification you make, or want to make, is done with the full permission of the Owners of the Moodle. That may be a College, a business, an organization of some sort to support you. If you don't, then you will have to find one. How you do that and how you persuade them to give you access  to their Moodle...up to you.

As for modifications, Moodle is Open Source. If you want, download a copy, set it up on your local machine, write your algorithm, then sell it to someone, or rather, the idea  of what you want to do. Perhaps though, it might be better for you to look at the development of a report, that is a block of code that can be accessed by an administrator via the Reports sub-menu, that allows you to access the required information. You might want to start with the Development documentation for different ideas on how to approach a problem. I would also suggest here that you post any further questions about development in the General Developer Forum.  Good luck.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Cchtou Chtou -

Hi Colin, thanks for your respond and please excuse my previous brief explanations. 

Actually my work aims to learn the learning style of Moodle users then propose an adaptative learning curriculum. I have to test the algorithm in a Moodle platform on real learners that I can gather. Since I am a beginner in Moodle I was wondering how can I test my code on Moodle platform and how can I collect informations about learners. I already installed moodle on my machine, I work locally and I do not have permission from any organization or other, do I have to?  I can create my own moodle platform and add learners on my own, do I miss something in this point? 

I really appreciate your interest, thank you.

In reply to Cchtou Chtou

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Wow... Cchtou, that is exactly how I would have suggested you proceed, well done you!!!! This gives you the opportunity to test and fully develop your algorithm within a controlled environment. When you are satisfied that it works as intended, then you can approach other organisations for field studies. You realize that this is not a short term project, I expect. The immediate issue will be getting enough learners onto your Moodle to provide meaningful studies.

OK, basic discussion in an interesting topic. You talk about "learning styles", and in that I am assuming that you are talking about the essential 7 learning styles that have been promoted, spatial, auditory, kinesthetic, etc. Or do you have something different in mind? 

I can't help with the coding, IANAD, but the background to such a daring and imaginative project is, for me, interesting. If you would like to tell us, how did you get to this point where you are actually proceeding with it?    

In reply to Cchtou Chtou

by Elizabeth Dalton -

You may find it helpful to read about what Moodle is doing with learning analytics. I'm not sure what your research is about, but the learning analytics tools give you the ability to set up models and test predictions about learners, courses, or any other context in Moodle.

Moodle is open source, which means you can make your own changes to your copy of the code.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by Cchtou Chtou -

Thank you Elizabeth, this seems to be helpful. Just one more  question : Can I find a moodle template in which there is available courses and tests to test my code on it without wasting time on building my own platform with my own courses? I don't know if the idea is clear but the aim is to test a learning algorithm on learners behaviour and provide an adaptative courses not to create a moodle platform.

In reply to Cchtou Chtou

by Elizabeth Dalton -

There are some sample courses you can download here: https://moodle.net/

However, since you are trying to develop adaptive learning, I don't know how useful a generic course will be. I suppose if you just want to test your ideas, it will help to have a starting point.

Adaptive learning can mean many different things. For example, you might use something like the "Group Choice" plugin to allow learners to choose a "style" of learning and then selectively release content depending on what group the learners chose for themselves. In a simple example, you might have "audio" vs. "text" and show only the audio files to the students who chose the "audio" style of learning by using the "Restrict access" controls in the audio and text activities. (There is no support in the literature that this kind of "learning style" affects learners, but I assume you are doing something more complex.)

Other kinds of adaptive learning might use learning analytics models to recommend content to students based on their progress in the course so far. If you have questions about learning analytics, please post them in the Learning Analytics area. smile

Good luck with your research!

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by Guy Polit -

Greetings,

This question pertains to retrieving information from the assignments module. 

I have these data items:

a)      course.id

b)      assign.id

c)      user.id

1.      How can I tell if the assignment was online text, file submission or both? Please provide the SQL query or API to get it, along with additional explanations of code values if they are cryptic or numeric.

2.      For a single item submitted by an individual student for a given assignment: What is the SQL or API command to retrieve the online text or the file a student submitted?

3.      For multiple items submitted by an individual student for a given assignment: What is the SQL or API command to retrieve ALL the submission objects (online text and / or files) a student submitted?

4.      For a single item or multiple items submitted for a group assignment by a representative student: what is the SQL or API command to retrieve all those items?

Thank you very much for reading, commenting and helping!