General developer forum

Filter embed word documents

Picture of Hittesh Ahuja
Filter embed word documents
Plugin developersTesters

Hi All,

Thinking of writing a simple Filter plugin that allows users to display a word document embedded to Moodle. There are two issues I see here : 

1) Safe Harbour - Google does not disclose where it stores its file and data so technically the file and its contents can be stored anywhere around the world 

2) 'X-Frame-Options' to 'sameorigin' - since I'll be using the live service - docs.google.com to convert , say a docx to an google doc format, most sites would have the issue of displaying content from a different origin. 

Do you guys think this could be an issue in the uptake of the plugin ? I dont want to start coding unless I know I am on the right path and don't want it to be shot down by @David Mudrak for any security reasons  ;) 

Thanks in advance. 

Hittesh

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Eoin Campbell
Re: Filter embed word documents
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

This is a nice idea, (I would say that, because I had thought of it myself a while back). Rather than use Google Docs to convert to HTML, what about using Unoconv to convert to PDF instead?

Alternatively, I have developed the Atto plugin Microsoft Word File Import which contains (mainly XSLT) code to convert .docx files into HTML. You could re-use this code to implement the feature you want, avoiding any external service. (We have found Unoconv quite finicky, and have had to implement a watcher to restart it periodically.)

I think it would also be nice to offer a facility for a Lecturer to opt to insert the content into the File resource Description field, or even permanently replace the File resource containing the Word file with a Page resource containing the converted content.

Average of ratings: -