Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

by Aditya Dubay -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I am using Moodle 3.4.2

Suddenly I got below error on my moodle:

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

ERROR LOG says:

[Thu May 10 12:02:09.600461 2018] [core:alert] [pid 29621:tid 140006907688704] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:45334] /public_html/lms/moodledata/.htaccess: AllowOverride not allowed here

Please help its urgent.

Aditya

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aditya Dubay

Re: Service Unavailable

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's not a Moodle error message - it's coming from the server.

Ask the server administrator. If that's you then the error you spotted in the log has nothing to do with this. 

If you are the server administrator you need to figure out why the web server is broken. Without knowing anything about your server it's hard to advise further.

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Start by looking into the problem the error is reporting. What's the contents of your /public_html/lms/moodledata/.htaccess file? The error is reporting that it contains an AllowOverride directive which is not allowed in this file so try editing .htaccess and removing this. I would expect this to cause a 500 Internal Server Error not 503 Service Unavailable so you may have another problem too. If it still doesn't work, let us know more details about your server (e.g. Apache version, operating system type and version) and maybe include the contents of .htaccess so we can check this.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Howard,

Hi Leon,

Thanks for reply.

Meanwhile what I did is, I rename my moodle instance folder as lms-old and create new folder named lms.

Copy all data from lms-old to lms then I got a new error:

Exception - syntax error, unexpected end of file

Exception - syntax error, unexpected end of file
Screenshot attached.
I try to search why this come but no success.
Please help.
In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Maybe the copy from lms-old to lms wasn't complete. Check your Apache error log and see if this has any errors.

If not then try overriding your site's debug settings and see if any error then appear in the log.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Leon,

Thanks for reply.

I compress data of lms-old and extract it into lms so all files are copied.

I am not able to login on website as this error comes on home page itself.

I ask my server administrator to check apache log and share results.

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm unsure why you did any of that. 

The issue is to find out why Apache is returning 503. If you are *sure* there is nothing in the logs then it may be an issue with PHP itself. 

We're going to need to know a lot more about your configuration.

First be absolutely sure no errors are logged.