Hardware and performance

Roadmap for deploying solution for 2000-4000 students

Picture of Isaac Marecheau
Roadmap for deploying solution for 2000-4000 students

Hi Moodle Family,

I am currently working on getting funding for an LMS product that will have to support 2000-6000 students, and 50 teachers.  The courses will contain, games, videos, quizzes, etc (i.e. multimedia).  The students and teachers will be located at many geographic locations throughout the Caribbean.  At low points, only 10% of students are anticipated to be using the platform simultaneously and at high points up to 70% of the total number of students can be accessing the system simultaneously.  It would be best if there existed an elastic solution that could dynamically adjust to the demands charge me proportionately.  I am not tech savvy but I am working on an online learning startup and at the moment costing estimates for installation, hosting and maintenance is very very difficult (at this moment it seems impossible) to attain. 

Never mind that, I dont even know who to go to for these services and what are the risks involved if I underspec and have to migrate to another provider.  If anyone has been down this road before and can help I would be eternally grateful. 

Regards

Isaac 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Roadmap for deploying solution for 2000-4000 students
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Moving to Hardware and performance forum...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Thank you. Apologies for the incorrect placement. 

Picture of Emma Richardson

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Hi,

Thank you for your guidance.  I will definitely reach out to a couple.

Regards

Isaac

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
Core developersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Isaac, in my experience just to give you a ballpark budget, whether you self-host or go with a Moodle Partner you are looking at something on the order of $5,000-$30,000 annually depending on how much support/service level agreement you need and on how heavy your actual load will be. Do some work to more ridigly define 'students online at the same time'. Are those students online all at the same minute, clicking on a quiz at the same time synchronously (worst case scenario) or are they online within a 30 minute window of each other, doing asynchronous work?

If your content going to involve lots of bandwidth heavy media or SCORM modules or is it mainly text content and documents? All of these will heavily impact the final costs.

Also to keep in mind is connectivity of your students. If they are in scattered throughout the Caribbean, is it mostly going to be wireless or cell data connection based and intermittent? If yes, you may need to look into doing more of the roll out through a Moodle app rather than the website directly, so you have offline capability.

Auto scaling should be doable but may be more expensive in the long run and prone to complicated failure states than just a simple single box that's specced high enough to handle the higher end loads.

If you can, do pilot runs to get data on actual use before committing to big complex auto-scaling deployments you may not need.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

^^ this

There's really no point coming here and asking, "what hardware will I need to support ...insert huge number... users in Moodle?" without doing any homework or running pilots or anything and expecting a sensible answer. This is not to single out the OP. This happens almost every day.