Help with Admin/Self Enrollment

Help with Admin/Self Enrollment

by Mark Miller -
Number of replies: 2

Using Moodle 3,4.  I'd tell you which theme I'm using, but I have no idea.  It's been over a year since I chose it, and I can't find a place where the  name of the installed theme is visible.

I have a site [olglearningcenter.cc] that I set last fall for self-enrollment. At least I thought I did.  I have two courses in development status available right now.  I'm trying to make this as streamlined as possible.  A user follows the prompts for a  first time user, and once registered will be able to access any class with self-enrollment. That's not the way it's working.  The first class I developed works exactly the way I want - login to the site and you can choose the Baptism class without a problem.  You cannot, however enter the Voting class. There's an error message saying you cannot enroll in this course.

My research in moodle docs was a bit confusing to me: I can find site configuration easily, but I haven't a clue how to access course administration. 

[1] The file "moodle docs" is the example I'm presuming is what I should be able to see on my site

[2] The file "my course font" is what I have.  It obviously looks nothing like Moodle docs.

My screen doesn't match the screens in moodle docs so I'm at a loss for what to do.

[3] I read on the board that the admin functions were now included in the "cog" in the upper right-hand corner.  The file "my screen using cog" is what I see, and I don't see the admin functions displayed on Moodle Docs.

If I've provided you with enough information, could you please answer these questions for me?

A.  How can I achieve my plan for having one login to the site and then access  any course through self-enrollment?

B. What do I have to do to get my site setup so it looks like the moodle docs example?

tia

mark

Attachment moodle docs image.jpg
Attachment my course front page.jpg
Attachment my screen using cog wheel.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: Help with Admin/Self Enrollment

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Your first file shows Site administration and Course administration BLOCKS which are with older versions of Moodle or different themes from what you have. (You have the standard latest theme called Boost) So you don't need to worry about those.

To get into course administration to set up self enrolment you need to go into your course - so access that place you are sharing the screenshot My course front - and then click where it says Participants. Then you will see a cogwheel over on the right - click it and it should bring up Enrolled users>Enrolment methods. You need to activate self enrolment. Here is the relevant documentation page: Self enrolment

In reply to Mark Miller

Re: Help with Admin/Self Enrollment

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Mark, you are doing well so far.

A. Follow Mary's advice.  As far as I know, there is no way to have one self-enrollment to every course in Moodle.  I think self-enrollment is course-by-course.  I was not sure if your question was about yourself, the Manager, having access to every course, or if you want students to log in once and have access to every course.  In my case, for each of my courses, I use self-enrollment.  I set up an enrollment key, email this to students, and then have them access their course.  If they happen to be in two of my courses, I have to send them two enrollment keys, one for each course.

B.  The look for a Moodle is very flexible but takes some time to learn and set up.  Moodle.org's theme is a custom theme that only moodle.org wants to use, so it is not available to you.  You have the Boost theme, and without too much effort, can change its appearance.  I gave a presentation at MoodleMoot last year about what I do.  See: MoodleMoot2017 (US and Mountain), "Making Boost do MORE".