Show "Require network adress" setting without clicking on "Show more"

Show "Require network adress" setting without clicking on "Show more"

by stefan weber -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers

I have one request for an improvement in this otherwise great plugin: could you move the "Require network adress" setting out of the "advanced" settings (only shown when clicking on "show more").

It is not really necessary to hide this setting, it only creates confusion (especially when this is set to something, and the settings page is not really cluttered anyways. Also, its always a bad idea to hide just a single setting behind another click in my opinion.

Even better would be not to hide those settings until "Allow students to record own attendance" is checked, but to just grey them out - thats more consistent with other Moodle modules, and makes it easier for users to know which options exist without trying them

Average of ratings: -
In reply to stefan weber

Re: Show "Require network adress" setting without clicking on "Show more"

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Stefan, 

I understand this might be useful for you, but in general most teachers aren't network engineers and have no idea what a subnet is which is why it is set to an advanced setting by default. In some organisations, the site-admin sets a default value and the teacher never changes that value so they don't need to see it unless they really want to.

What I have done with some of the other activities I maintain is provide the ability for the site-admin to decide which settings should be advanced and this is something I could look at adding - pull requests or funding are always welcome.

thanks!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by stefan weber -
Picture of Plugin developers

i agree - most teachers aren't exactly network engineers smile

thats why we use this plugin as a replacement for the IP adress access rule for quizzes:

https://moodle.org/plugins/quizaccess_ipaddresslist

that would be the optimal solution, but I have no idea how complicated it would be to implement something like that into your module :/

i ll just edit the code to show the setting at our site then, thanks anyways smile

In reply to stefan weber

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It should be possible to add a new capability to control this - something like "attendance:canseeallsettings" and then some configuration for an admin that allowed you to choose which settings were available to all teachers, and which settings were only available to users with "canseeallsettings"

It's not something I'd spend volunteer time on implementing though - happy to review a pull request if you have internal development capabilities, alternatively feel free to get in touch privately if you would like to fund my time to add this sort of functionality.

thanks,