GDPR Course retention varies by qual type

Re: GDPR Course retention varies by qual type

by Tim Gildersleeve -
Number of replies: 2

I've been talking to our people about data retention for both our HE and FE courses and it seems that most of the requirements for retention seem to be more metadata.   It is important (for some) to keep the data for several years, but others as you say just months.

The data that is required in the main though are things like grades, feedback, dates etc - not the actual submissions.   If all your data of this type is kept in Moodle then this will have more of an effect on you I am sure but I believe most of our data of this type is actually stored in our student database and other systems external from Moodle.

Personally because of this I am aiming to only keep 4 years of Moodle and they can keep the records externally to Moodle for as long as they like.

Not sure if this is helpful at all - but it may be if you keep records of these things outside of Moodle.

Regards

Tim Gildersleeve (VLE Manager - Bradford College. UK)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Gildersleeve

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tim,

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the student database will be subject to the same GDPR legislation as elsewhere. There is no exemption for student records.

In reply to Andrew Lyons

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Makes me wonder...I predict a possible future problem due to GDPR. In the past, numerous people have been caught claiming academic degrees, that in reality, they never earned. In the future I see these same low life types blaming the GDPR right to remove data and be forgotten, as the reason no proof of their degrees can be found.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)