Installing Moodle 3.4.2+ (Build: 20180502)

Installing Moodle 3.4.2+ (Build: 20180502)

by Mark Gaskell -
Number of replies: 10

I am trying to install Moodle 3.4.2+ (Build: 20180502) on to my laptop and keep getting the following error (I have attached screen shot also):

php_extensionintl

Intl extension is required to improve internationalization support, such as locale aware sorting and international domain names.

I have completed the instructions, yet it still shows the error. (I have attached a copy of the PHP.ini file)

To enable this extension add the following line to your php.ini file usually found in /php:

extension=php_intl.dll

And then set the intl.default_locale and intl.error_level directives in your php.ini file.

[intl]

intl.default_locale = en_utf8

intl.error_level = E_WARNING

Attachment Error in install Moodle 3_4_2 Build 20180502.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Gaskell

Re: Installing Moodle 3.4.2+ (Build: 20180502)

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Are you using the Moodle Complete Install Package for Windows? If so, have you downloaded and installed vc_redist.x86.exe (Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015)? And not vc_redist.x64.exe?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Leon Stringer

by Mark Gaskell -

Leon,

I  installed the complete package for windows and the installed Visual C++, still same error?

In reply to Mark Gaskell

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Run PHPInfo(). Does it show the INTL section? If not then your PHP isn't configured correctly - it's not loading the INTL extension.

https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/PHP#Displaying_phpinfo_outside_of_Moodle

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Mark Gaskell -

I have saved the file <?php phpinfo(); ?> as info.php in notepad. Unfortunately I am not familiar with this area and cannot the next two points:

• Upload this file into the root web accessible folder on your server.
  • Now open this file in your browser. For example http://<server-name>/info.php.

I am using a standalone laptop and trying to run moodle on localhost?

extension=php_intl.dll is in PHP file

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In reply to Mark Gaskell

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Since you're running Moodle on your laptop it's referred to as a local instance...

Copy the info.php file to your Moodle folder in your local instance.

Then open http://localhost/info.php in your web browser (assuming you installed Moodle in the root of your local web server). You should see the output of the PHPInfo command.

by Mark Gaskell -

I have run http://localhost/info.php  and got the information in the attached file. Unfortunately, it still did not work. Can you identify the error in the attached file?

In reply to Mark Gaskell

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Can you try opening a Command Prompt window and running the following commands:

cd \Moodle\server\php
php -r "echo extension_loaded('intl');"

This should just show the number 1 but you may get an error. Could you let us know what you see?

Also could you go into Control Panel into the Uninstall a program list and post a screenshot showing the Visual C++ redistributable run-time entry in the list. It should look like this:

Control Panel, Uninstall or change a program

It's that second entry that we need to confirm.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Mark Gaskell -

Leon,

Thanks, I found out what I did wrong, I installed the wrong version of MS Visual. I installed x64. I misread an earlier post.

Thanks all for your help, it was very much appreciated. 

In reply to Mark Gaskell

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Did you use an installer package to install Moodle,or did you do a manual installation? (i.e. Did you setup the web server, database and Moodle code manually?)

by Mark Gaskell -
I installed it using the installer package. (I would not know how to do it manually)

I extracted the files and saved them to C:\Moodle 

I copied the info.php file to C:\Moodle\server (did not work) so I tried C:\Moodle\server\php and that did not work. I got the following error both times:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
localhost
Apache/2.4.28 (Win32) OpenSSL/1.0.2l PHP/7.1.10