Database not linked to upgraded 3.4.2

Database not linked to upgraded 3.4.2

by Karen Barber -
Number of replies: 2

I have no Admin experience but I'm the acting Admin for a friend's Moodle account / web site. So please forgive me for asking dumb questions. 

Using YouTube videos, I successfully upgraded Moodle from 3.0 to 3.4.2. However, when I type my "Domain name.org" in the browser box, the older Moodle version appears with photos, documents, etc - stuff saved in the Database. The upgraded Moodle version appears at Domain name.org/moodle_stupidmdl/ but nothing from my Database appears in the upgraded version. (Sorry, I was super aggravated with Moodle last night when trying to upgrade.)

My host server is BlueHost and I know how to use CPanel to get to File Manager. I'm fairly sure the problem lies in File Manager. The Database needs to "point" to the upgraded Moodle version. (I contacted BlueHost first but they "don't know Moodle well enough" to help me.)

I named the Database "stupidmdl" (without quotes) using MySql Databases found in CPanel. 

So I need help moving the Database from the old to new version of Moodle. And the new version needs to appear when you type Domain name.org into the browser box. I just don't understand the Moodle file structure (I think that's the correct term) in File Manager. 

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen Barber

Re: Database not linked to upgraded 3.4.2

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

If you can access both versions of Moodle then it seems like you installed a NEW instance of Moodle v3.4.2 instead of UPGRADING the v3.0 instance. So you now have two instances.

To check which version your Moodle database is run this query:

SELECT value
FROM mdl_config
WHERE name = 'release';

It will tell you if the database is Moodle version 3.0 or 3.4.2.

Then read the https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Upgrading documentation before you try anything else. It will save you some headaches...

And, if you haven't done so already, backup all your courses in the 3.0 instance first before you do anything else.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

Re: Database not linked to upgraded 3.4.2

by Karen Barber -

The query said that the database is under version 3.4.2.

I think I'm going to restore a backup and start all over. 

{sigh}