Course Review and Comment Functionality / Plugin

Course Review and Comment Functionality / Plugin

by Leslie Foster -
Number of replies: 4

There are a few commercial course review sites such as ZipBoard or ReviewMyelearning.  What would be really nice is to be able to do this within Moodle.  For my purposes, the ability to review SCORM based material would be perfect.

the idea being that I can allow my clients to review copies of my SCORM based courses and provide their feedback on a slide by slide basis all within the same platform that they use day to day.  Commercial clients often have firewalls that are closed, so asking them to open a new URL such as Zipboard requires them to go through a security process.  I also like the idea of Moodle being integrated with live and development courses.

Are there any free or commercial (non subscription) plugins that provide this review and comment functionality?

Any comments gratefully received.

I run several Moodle sites running 3.1 up to 3.4.2.

Regards

Les

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leslie Foster

Re: Course Review and Comment Functionality / Plugin

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I know it's a bit rubbish, but what's stopping you from using Moodle's built-in Feedback module?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Leslie Foster -

The commercial subscription options seems to allow for comments on a slide be slide basis and the ability to reply to the specific comments.  they can be very slick in their presentation.

The feedback module is only at the end of the course and not slide by slide.  You cannot have both on the screen at the same time...or can you?

Les

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ahh... I see.

I'm not aware of anything like that. Sounds tricky...

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Picture of Plugin developers

Have you looked at Hypothes.is? If you set up your own instance and link it to your Moodle site(s) (involves adding a single <script></script> tag in your theme settings) you'll be able to keep your comments within an application that you control. 

Bear in mind though, in that simple configuration, your commenters will still need to authenticate with your Hypothes.is instance. 

Also with the simple configuration, your entire Moodle site will be commentable, rather than just your SCORM modules/slides.

In order to meet your exact needs as stated in your post, you'll most likely need to develop a custom plugin. For that purpose you might want to look at the Annotator JS library, which is what Hypothes.is is built on top of.