Teaching with Moodle

Downloading a list of participants who submitted an assignment

Picture of Anatoly L
Downloading a list of participants who submitted an assignment

On my Moodle page for a course that's 15 weeks long, there are "Weeks" folders (e.g. January 8-January 14, January 15-January 21, etc) each of which contains an assignment.

For the 1st week, the assignment is called "Homework 1", for the second "Homework 2" etc.

Students upload their assignments for each week and so if I click on "Homework 1", for example, Moodle reports a "Grading Summary" first, showing the total number of Participants, how many have actually submitted the assignment, and how many assignments need to be graded.

I can then click on "View Submissions" and actually see the uploads for each student.

What I need is a quick way to see which students submitted the assignment and which didn't, ideally, in a form of a csv/excel file that I can download. I need this for every single week. I want to avoid having to manually click on every single Homework assignment link, click on View Submissions, and then manually look to see which names show up in the list.

Would there be a way to achieve what I need?

A

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: Downloading a list of participants who submitted an assignment
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

There should be a way of creating a report via ad hoc reports perhaps. There is a plugin that you may be able to download and create ad hoc reports with located at this page. I would suggest you install the Adminer anyway, that is current, but the other two, Configurable Reports and Ad-Hoc Database Queries are lagging a bit. (Not to say they won't work, but they may not be as flexible as they may have been for earlier versions of Moodle.)

Average of ratings: -
myname

I need this report too, 

I will try to find SQL for this, and I appreciate any help

Ryan Hazen

First of all, what's the goal with knowing this information? Are you going to message them? That's what it seems like, so I'll advise with that in mind. Let me know if you have a different goal.

I don't know of a report that does exactly this, but here's a workaround:

Download the grades for the course from the gradebook (gradebook setup>export>csv), use excel to filter/sort the grades in the column that you want to know who hasn't submitted. The use mail merge to email them if that's your goal. The gradebook export should bring emails along.

You can also filter the submissions for "not submitted" in the "options" area of "view all submissions" for a quick look at who's missing and who's not.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
myname

Thank you for your help.

I am not sure why they want it, I am an admin, and I was asked by the teachers several times that they need excel file with names/ID of the students who submit a particular assignment.

another workaround

course Administration>Reports>Course Participation>select the activity, role, action and the group

you will have list of students who viewed/post a certain activity.

and you can send messages to the selected users.

Picture of Ken Farrimond
Plugin developers

An obvious way to do this is "completion tracking", which does need to be enabled at site level and then at course level. You then set the criteria for each activity you want tracked (eg work submitted) and you can view it in a spreadsheet like report that is downloadable. 

https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Activity_completion

Picture of Natalie Spence

I know this is a bit late to answer your question, but others might benefit. 

There is a straight-forward way to get this information for an assignment activity: in Settings, tick the 'Offline grading worksheet' in the 'Feedback types' section. This allows you to download a spreadsheet of all students with a column that says whether they have submitted or not.

Cheers,

N

Average of ratings: Useful (4)