Moodle Tracker: Improve workflow for peer reviews done by users with minor dev rights

Moodle Tracker: Improve workflow for peer reviews done by users with minor dev rights

by Kathrin Osswald -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

because I think the current workflow for peer reviews in the Moodle tracker that are done by users with minor dev rights is not ideal, I would like to propose an improvement.

Current workflow / behavior:

•  A user with minor dev rights starts peer reviewing by clicking the button "Start peer review"
  • The user does his work and when he's finished, he clicks the button "Finish peer review" and enters his feedback
  • Now the status of the issue goes back to "Development in progress"

With this status, no developer with sufficient rights would see that this issue needs to be moved to integration for testing. So there's no visible information and no possibility to filter for.

So I would propose to introduce either a new status or a new label for this worklflow state.  So users with sufficient rights could filter for this and could push the issues to the next workflow state . Maybe a label would be enough.

Best, Kathrin

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Kathrin Osswald

Re: Moodle Tracker: Improve workflow for peer reviews done by users with minor dev rights

by Jan Dageförde -

I would also appreciate a way to mark issues that I peer reviewed appropriately, so that they can be picked up and moved to integration by someone with sufficient rights. 

I don't know Jira and either label or status are fine in my opinion. I guess that a specific label would be the easiest implementation, and it would resemble the way that first-time contributors use for proposing a patch: They don't have the "Request peer review" button, so they are advised to add a "patch" label. Similarly, since we don't have a "Move to integration" button, we could add a "reviewed" label that can be filtered for.

In the meantime, I advise not to click the "Finish peer review" button because then the issue falls back to "Development in progress". Instead, just add the summary of your peer review to the issue and wait for someone with sufficient rights to discover it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jan Dageförde

Re: Moodle Tracker: Improve workflow for peer reviews done by users with minor dev rights

by Alexander Bias -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I am really wondering why is has to be that complicated. Jira is there to help us getting things done and not to restrain us with unnecessarily complicated workflows and fiddling with labels or personal messages. Moodle has such a nice development process, it only lacks straightforwardness for people who don't have full power in Jira.

In my humble opinion, I don't see any reason why there has to be a permission separation between the "Start peer review" and "Request integration review" transition in Jira. Anyone who has proven reliable enough to develop for Moodle should be able to push patches trough to integration review without the help of a superpower user. It would be easier to retract development permissions from anyone who falls from grace and abuses this "Request integration review" transition completely than to delay valid peer reviews of motivated peer reviewers.

Just my two cents,
Alex

Average of ratings: Useful (2)