Formal White Theme - Moodle 3.4

Formal White Theme - Moodle 3.4

by Mike Helmick -
Number of replies: 16
Moodle Version: 3.4.2+ (Build: 20180425)

Formal White Version: 2014041400

Base Version: 2016052300

Canvas Version: 2016052300

Hello I was wondering if there was a way of being able to upgrade the Formal White theme to work effectively with Moodle 3.4 without the calendar with the current date and dates with events expanded.

Please see the attached screenshot.

In addition, 

Grader report (enrolled users and participants are similar)

Finally, the assignment grader does not work unless you zoom in really close

Best,

Mike Helmick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Helmick

Re: Formal White Theme - Moodle 3.4

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

But why?  You are missing so many features by hanging on to an old theme like that...Rick Jerz did a presentation on how to make the More theme look like Formal White if you are really set on the look but I would recommend looking at a Boost based theme as that is where Moodle is now...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I too loved Formal White.  But I had to abort when Boost became available.  This was actually good news because Boost is a much better responsive design than Formal White was.  But I did like the look of Formal White, so I worked on modifying Boost (via CSS and preset change) and got something that I like.  Not perfect "Formal White."  "Formal White" was created by a person in Italy, and I am only half Italian, so mine is not quite as great.

Here is a link to the presentation that I gave at Moodlemoot.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I did not know you were half-Italian Rick? Snap...so am I! 

If it helps I could make a Formal White preset which would make changes to the layout adding coloured rounded corners with shadows and such...

cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mike Helmick -
Mary,

That would be great

Best,

Mike

In reply to Mike Helmick

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'll see what I can do to help you Mike. 

it should not be too difficult ... but I am sure it will make a difference to the look of Boost as it is now.

If it works I will certainly ask the original theme developers to see if they would let me make a Formal White theme for Moodle 3.5

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mike Helmick -
Mary,

I was wondering if you have any solutions for me to being able to use Formal White theme in Moodle 3.4 and possibly 3.5

In reply to Mike Helmick

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mike,

All you need is to make sure that Formal White will work in those versions of Moodle.

First of all you need is to make sure that you have the two parent themes Base & Canvas which will be the Moodle 3.3+ version of those two themes.

Secondly you need to find out where the breaking points of the Formal White theme are in order for you to find fixes for them. Some are easy to fix others may be more difficult, such as the Grade Book view, that said they are achievable.

I'm currently working on making a Formal White Preset (3.4)  My main problem is getting the Boost Brand Colour to mimic the various colours schemes in Formal White. I am getting there, but it is frustrating all the same. I think things are very much too complex and the more they keep changing the harder things appear to be.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mike Helmick -

I am looking forward to the preset

In reply to Mike Helmick

by Mary Evans -

Well I have been playing with this for a few hours today and making a little progress. I just hate the way Boost has been made. It's not really that friendly, its as though they are still trying to keep some old Moodle code afloat.

Here is where I am up to...which isn't that much really but took a bit of getting there so to speak!.

By the way my Mouse stopped working today and so did my radio and to top it all, my husband accidentally spilled his mug of coffee over my best white woven Amish tablecloth...!!!

Such is life...

The sun is shining though...

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mike Helmick -

Sorry to hear about that.

I like the progress you have made though

Best,

Mike

In reply to Mike Helmick

by Mary Evans -

OK..if you want to try out the CSS here is screenshot to copy.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mike Helmick -

Hi Marry,

Would you be able to post the CSS as text. I am unable to copy the text from the image and when I type it in manually it is giving me an error message for some of these lines.

Best,

Mike

In reply to Mike Helmick

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Mike, what is it that you are really looking for in Formal White?  Is it simply the color scheme?  Is it the 3 column layout?  Is it some other feature?

If it is only colors, this might be a little easier to configure.