Hardware and performance

3000 concurrent users in a course

Picture of Theocharis Livieratos
3000 concurrent users in a course

Hello guys. I was wondering if someone who faced successfully this amount of concurrent users before can provide of useful information about the performance requirements of his/hers machines.

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dr. Nellie Deutsch
Re: 3000 concurrent users in a course

Hi Theocharis,

I have had over 5000 users in a course a number of times and everything was just fine. 

Απάντηση: Re: 3000 concurrent users in a course

Hello Nellie and thank you for your reply. Were those users online at the same time? What is your machine specs?

Picture of Howard Miller
Re: 3000 concurrent users in a course
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

3000 users doing what?

3000 concurrent users is a crazy amount. More than enough for me to ask you to justify how you arrived at that figure. 

If it involves spending money, getting that wrong would be a very bad thing.

Απάντηση: Re: 3000 concurrent users in a course

Hello Howard and thanks for your reply. Is there a safe amount? It will be a course with maybe quiz activities, videos, scorm packages etc.Not heavy packages though.

Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Απάντηση: Re: 3000 concurrent users in a course
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Moodle scales very well by throwing hardware at the problem. Quizzes are about as bad as it gets for system load. 

That's why I asked you the question you didn't answer wink

If you don't know what you will be doing and what the implications are then I strongly recommend you run a pilot and get some experience (and measurements).