assignment PDF grader document moves with stylus movement on iPad

assignment PDF grader document moves with stylus movement on iPad

by Bill Kopf -
Number of replies: 3

I have a professor who is using an iPad with a stylus to grade papers in her assignment using the PDF grader. When she places the stylus on the paper to mark comments the paper moves in the direction the stylus moves. I cannot replicate the problem with several other iPads or on my Surface using a stylus. She insists it is a "Moodle problem" -  I can only imagine it is the iPad or stylus?

Our Moodle host has found no documentation to address this exact issue. Help, please.

We are on Moodle 3.3.5 (Build: 20180319)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Kopf

Re: assignment PDF grader document moves with stylus movement on iPad

by David Morrow -

Could it be that she is not selecting an annotation tool?

When the student grading page first opens - where the submission is converted to PDF - if I place stylus to PDf without selecting an annotation tool, the "page" moves with the stylus as you describe. Looking at the annotation tools, the hand icon is selected automatically - so the dragging is appropriate. If I select a different tool, things work as expected.

The same thing happens on a desktop or laptop. The hand icon is selected automatically and the mouse can be used to click and drag the document around.

iPad Pro/Moodle3.1

Hoping it is something this simple,

David

In reply to Bill Kopf

by Scott Watkins -

I also have a professor who is experiencing this, exactly as you describe. I also cannot replicate the issue. Did you find any solution?

They are not selecting the wrong tool in the toolbar. They select the "hand" and the PDF moves around. They select the "arrow" and the PDF moves around. They select the "annotation tool" and the PDF moves around and annotates as it goes.

We are on Moodle 3.4.3.

In reply to Scott Watkins

by Ryan B -
I can confirm. I was thinking of buying an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil for this exact purpose - PDF annotation on Moodle. I borrowed a friend's to try it out and uploaded a test PDF.

There are two issues I noticed:
  1. Stamps - using the Apple Pencil, stamps appear below and to the right of where the Pencil hits, i.e. the top left of the stamp is where you placed the Pencil. You can get used to this, but wouldn't it be better for the center of the stamp to be where the stylus is placed?
  2. Annotating (lines, circles, etc.) - if the PDF can scroll, it will scroll. Thus, the only way to draw a circle is to have the pdf scrolled all the the way to the top, place your stylus, and draw a circle UP (the PDF cannot scroll up). Or scroll all the way to the bottom and draw a circle DOWN (the PDF cannot scroll down). Same with lines.

I can confirm that this is a Moodle problem. I've also tested it on my Fujitsu T-902 tablet laptop with a stylus: stamps are still misaligned, and while the lines/cricles/annotating works marginally better, it is by no means controllable or easy to use. It seems the only way to do it right now is with a mouse through your browser.