Bulk upload: Update question

Bulk upload: Update question

by Paul Joyce -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, 

I'm a Moodle site administrator for English language classes at my university department, and I'm using Moodle 2.8.10.

I've bulk uploaded the student data for a lot of students that are taking the same course (Course A). Essentially, I now want to do the same thing for another course (Course B). Some of the students who are taking Course A are also taking Course B. The only Upload Type that seems to make sense is "Add new and update existing users". However, for the students who are taking both Course A and Course B, I'm concerned that this method will remove them from Course A (ie. update means "overwrite" rather than "append"). Am I right?

And if this is the case, is there anyway around this problem?

All help much appreciated. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Joyce

Re: Bulk upload: Update question

by James Steerpike -
Fill in missing from file and defaults 
adds data in the existing user account with data provided in the uploaded file if the field is empty (does not already contain data) and fills in the default values for existing user details when no data is provided in the uploaded file.

This would seem to  be the best way to add another course

You should also be able to export your Group A users - in case they have updated their details. Put it in maintenance mode first, add your course B column and import.  Then add Group B only students ( as new users?)

Check this with a test user and backup first of course.

In reply to James Steerpike

by Paul Joyce -

Thank you James and Catherine. 

Yes, that solution worked. I just changed the course name of the bulk upload file to Course B, and used "Fill in missing from file". Thank you so much!

In reply to Paul Joyce

by C Behan -

Hi,

You will not remove your students from course A this way.

Catherine