Inspire samples

Inspire samples

by Janalivia Carneiro -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone !

Congratulations on the LA standard plugin Inspire.

I am currently studying it for my master project.

To be more specific, I am using the analytics model "Student at risk of dropping out" to predict to one course in progress. 

I have one finished course in the database that I already used to train, but when I got the data of the course in progress, I changed the indicators, because I thought that they were more relevant.

I received a warning that it would delete the train data, but I hoped that the finished course could be used again to train.

No when I try to execute the model I get the following error:

Get predictions

Training results

×There is no new data that can be used for training

Info

×Analysable IAP_CPT_171 not used: 0: No valid samples available

×Analysable IAP_CPT_181 is not valid for this target: The course has not yet finished

Prediction results

×No new elements to get predictions for

Info

×Analysable IAP_CPT_181 not used: 0: No new predictions yet

×Analysable IAP_CPT_171 is not valid for this target: Course already finished

I would like the model to be trained with the new indicators that I selected, but I do not have another finished course ( I got this two courses to research to my master project).

How could I reuse this data. Is there a way ? I already deleted the tables mdl_analytics_used_analysables  but I did not succeed yet to get a new training and a prediction.

I would appreciate any help : )

Thanks in advance,

Janalívia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Janalivia Carneiro

Re: Inspire samples

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Hello Janalívia,

We're happy to hear that you are using Moodle learning analytics for your Masters project!

You should be able to reuse the existing course to re-train the model. Have you tried executing the action "Clear predictions" on the model?

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by Janalivia Carneiro -

Hallo Elizabeth,

Thanks for your answer !

I haven't tried "Clear predictions" yet. 

Actually I have read about this possibility, but I can't find this information anymore. I am using Moodle version 3.4.2+ (Build: 20180412) and this action is not available for the "Students at risk of dropping out" model.

Is this action available in a newer version of Moodle ?

Thanks in advance !

Kind regards, Janalívia

In reply to Janalivia Carneiro

by David Monllaó -

Hi Janalívia,

Sorry for the late reply. 

• "Clear predictions" option is available in 3.4.x but it is only visible once the model is trained.
  • For what I understand from your message  IAP_CPT_181 is the ongoing course and IAP_CPT_171 the finished course.
    • In Training results, the message No valid samples available means that IAP_CPT_171 is a valid analysable element but none of the samples available on it are valid. There can be multiple reasons for it
    • In Prediction results, you probably got the Analysable IAP_CPT_181 not used: 0: No new predictions yet message because the model has not been successfully trained. IAP_CPT_171 has been discarded for prediction because it is a past course

We basically need to find out why none of the IAP_CPT_171 samples are valid for training. Here you can see the list of restrictions we apply to samples for this predictive model: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/lib/classes/analytics/target/course_dropout.php#L204

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by Andre Pretorius -

I have similar issues. I have uploaded (restored) two completed courses that has completion criteria set that contains data for 5 months. The results of the Get Predictions options are "There is no new data that can be used for training". For the Evaluate Model option the message for both these courses reads "No valid samples available".

Any advise please?

In reply to Andre Pretorius

by Andre Pretorius -

To clarify the process that I followed was:

1) Teach for 5 months on live site in the mentioned courses.

2) Completion criteria was set for the courses based on course marks totals and the start/end date set.

3) After completion of the course the it was backed-up with all data checkboxes checked for user data logs and activities. Anonymize was activiated.

4) These backup file of the these courses was restored to my test site.

Note: when checking the student participants on the test site , it indicates that the anonymised students have never loggged in, although the usage log indicates extensive activities by all students...

In reply to Andre Pretorius

by David Monllaó -

Hi Andre,

"Note: when checking the student participants on the test site , it indicates that the anonymised students have never loggged in, although the usage log indicates extensive activities by all students..."  This is weird, there may be a bug. The last access value can be read from user_lastaccess database table and I don't see 'user_lastaccess' references in backup/ folder (this folder manages backup and restore)

Maybe this can highlight why there are no valid samples in the course: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/lib/classes/analytics/target/course_dropout.php#L204. And this for invalid courses: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/lib/classes/analytics/target/course_dropout.php#L126