Audience Response System

Re: Audience Response System

by AL Rachels -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't know and have not heard of anyone working on one. If you have all your question pre-planned, then yes you can sort of use Choice, Questionnaire, Quiz, or either the Real Time or Active quizzes for audience response.

The Hot Question plugin may be a better option if you are wanting to pose, "spur of the moment" type questions during a lecture. The teacher can pose a question, let everyone respond, then start a New Round to pose other questions. The Hot Question setup allows settings to control visibility of responses to other students. If visible, then students can "Vote up" a response. There is also a setting that allows for anonymous responses.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Ken Masters -

OK, thanks for the reply. 

My questions are all pre-prepared: I use them to check prior knowledge and then also intersperse them in my my teaching for various activities.  I've tried the work-arounds you suggest (except the Hot Question plugin, but that a logistical problem), but they all have their weaknesses.

At the moment, I use Kahoot, and I'm really looking for something simple like Kahoot.  Kahoot is great, but is limited in question and answer length, and so scenario-type questions are tricky (again, work-arounds are required).  I also wrote my own app to do it, and it works well enough, but I write for Android only, so that excludes too many of my students.

As I use Moodle in my lectures for other stuff, it just made sense to have a simple ARS running in there also.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

In reply to Ken Masters

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ken

Can you be a bit more specific about what the ARS needs to be able to do to match your requirements? I know Davo Smith's Realtime quiz is pretty cool

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_realtimequiz

Not sure if its quite what you are after though.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Ken Masters -

Hi Justin

Thanks for this.

Yes, the Realtime quiz also does not exist in our implementation of Moodle (sorry, I should have been clearer on that), and some of the settings of our Active Quiz appear missing, but I have looked in more detail at the Active Quiz, and, with what we do have, it appears that it should meet my needs.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Ken 

In reply to Ken Masters

by David Morrow -

I hope you get Active Quiz working. I work with teachers and tell them that Active Quiz is sort of like Kahoot but without the sounds and colors. An advantage is that you can use your existing Moodle question banks. But the latest posted version only goes up to Moodle 3.2. We are still on 3.1, but upgrading to 3.5 this summer - I hope it gets updated.

David

In reply to David Morrow

by Ken Masters -

Hi All

I've done some initial testing, and I like it, and will be using it with my students this afternoon (I have my questions in Kahoot also, as a backup).  I do though, have some questions whose answers are not immediately obvious to me:

(Note that I have the grading turned off, and all is anonymized - I don't want a permanent record in any form, and I don't want the students to be restricted by worrying that I'm tracking them).  So, in the Settings, I do have Grade Settings | Assessed unchecked.

1. Can the system display the students' final score to them?  I see that it tells them if they have each question correct, but I would like it to give them their final score once the session is over.  But it must be able to do that without recording it in the Moodle grades in any way.
  2. On the teacher's machine, after the question is closed and the responses are shown, is there a way to indicate the correct answer in the graph?  e.g. Kahoot places a tick above the correct answer, so it would be nice if the Active Quiz could also do this.
  3. On the teacher's machine, after the question is closed, instead of writing out the text of the options at an oblique angle which is next-to-impossible to read, is there a way to have it written properly (i.e. horizontally) so that it can be read without twisting my neck at a 45-degree angle?

Thanks

Regards

Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)