Mixture of offline and Online assignment submissions

Re: Mixture of offline and Online assignment submissions

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I do use "Quick Grading" as Mary suggests.

Below is an example of what I see.  Those showing "Assignment is overdue" are for students who have not upload by my due date.

In your example, you could still grade the manually turned in assignment and enter grades into the Grade textbox.

Actually, I prefer to download the grading worksheet, grade in Excel, then upload this file instead of typing in the Grade textbox, but you can do it either way.

I suggest that you eliminate the "various reasons hand in a paper copy" problems.  This is 2018, not 1978.

Attachment assignments.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Oliver James -

Dear all,

Thank you so much for the replies that you have given. I think that from a marking point of view the idea of downloading to Excel makes alot of sense and is something that I will certainly be looking more in to.

I think that my issue is more at the point of handing in the work and being able to instantly be able to pull up a view of who has and has not done the work, as opposed to marking it later on.

S. Kavita, I read through the docs page you gave me the link for and I might have found something useful in the Marking Flow section. I can mark the students who have submitted both online and offline with a certain flow and then using the filter get it to show only the students who have not handed in anything at all.

This should give me what I need.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Kind regards
Oliver.

In reply to Oliver James

by Rick Jerz -

If you look at the picture that I posted, one can see who has turned in their assignment and the date of submittal.  When I am in my course in moodle, I can click on the assignment, then "view all submittals", and I see this list.  That's two clicks away!  If I wanted to actually view their assignments, in two clicks I would have them downloading, one more click to unzip them, then I can see each assignment.  You can grade at any time.  I don't know what else you are looking for?  What do you mean by "instant?"

As an alternative, you can go to the Moodle Dashboard as an entry point for assignments.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Oliver James -
Hi Rick,

I think that I am possibly not explaining myself. I will set an assignment due in for the next lesson. The next lesson arrives and there are some students who (like in your screenshot) have submitted the work in to Moodle. Others will hand me pieces of paper and a few will not hand in anything at all. Using the Marking Flow I can set a filter that allows me to effectively mark the pupils who handed in the work as a piece of paper as being submitted. 

The instant part is that, I want to have a list of all students who have not handed me anything, either paper or electronic. I can then use that list to talk to the correct students about why they have not completed the homework. 

Does that make more sense? And as for the dashboard, fantastic addition for the students, truly wonderful and well thought out. For staff... bit of a dogs dinner.

In reply to Oliver James

by Rick Jerz -

Moodle only knows what students have done electronically.  It won't know what students have physically given to you, you will need to keep track of that yourself.  If you want to use the Assignment area, maybe score students with a "1" (or something like that) as a flag that they have submitted a paper, and that you will still need to grade these.  You can tell these students that if they see a grade of "1", that this flags them as "submitted" but still needs grading.

From what you describe, you would have to somehow keep track of students paper submittals.