require login for site *but* allow some course files to be viewed

Re: require login for site *but* allow some course files to be viewed

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Greg,

Try setting the FRONTPAGE to list courses. Then take off the force login.

this will allow any visitor to view and read the info about the courses on offer, but they cannot get to those course pages unless logged in.

This may not be what you mean but is perhaps what you are after?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Greg Holmes -

Hi Mary-

Thanks for the idea!  Not exactly what we were after, but it put me on the right track. 

In the end I styled the frontpage like a login page (for non-logged in people), with courses as a sidebar (which is what we were doing initially with the custom theme login page). 

However - since we only want to show courses with a certain tag, I had to achieve that with a custom block. Then used custom templating to add the login form in the middle of the frontpage, and only for non-logged in people. 

Bit of a long way round, but it had the benefit of working! Can now load the course images and show to non-logged in people. 

In reply to Greg Holmes

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sounds good...at least you have taken the initiative and achieved what you wanted, more or less.

Thanks for letting me know.

Mary