General discussion

Resource-centric social platforms

Picture of john kuti
Re: Resource-centric social platforms

For multi-perspectives on Teaching Resources I could imagine something analogous to http://www.thesinglesjukebox.com/ with panels for different subject areas. This would be a candidate for the "curating" model - the site generates a list of the year's greatest hits. (This year's top song so far is quite rightly Janelle Monae..but note that one reviewer only gave it 4/10)

A curating committee needs to have a diversity of members: The Singles Jukebox produces scores for each song, but different reviewers sometimes vary wildly in their assessments, most importantly, explaining why. With social media, there's always a washback effect (think of it as a feedback loop) on users - so society needs to be very wary of systems where people just give "likes" or "retweets" without any criteria. The monopolar "like" button is just a way to automatically give prominence to the most simple-minded reactions.

Picture of Doug Belshaw
Re: Resource-centric social platforms

I think you bring up a really important point here about the psychographic makeup of future MoodleNet users. My hypothesis would be that simple scoring mechanisms work well in tightly-knit and reasonably homogeneous groups, but that networks work differently.

Stephen Downes gave a presentation at the Canadian MoodleMoot and, after watching the recording, I wrote this post. In it, I reflect on the work he's been doing on groups vs networks for the last 12 years or so, and the mechanisms that best suit each of those.

I think that we need to encourage pro-social behaviours and to do that, people need 'skin in the game'. We can do that a number of ways, through badges, through reputation such as kudos, and through recommendation engines.

At the end of the day, I think we're going to have to try a few approaches and see what works in a Moodle context!