Grading oral presentations

Grading oral presentations

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 2

I have been using one minute oral presentations in class with 30 students lined up with a different topic and a timer. It might be useful to create a rubric and use Moodle to break their grade down - areas like presentation, delivery, accurate speech and so on. I could make such a rubric but I am not sure how quickly I could find an individual student assignment out of the 350 or so I teach.

Ideally, I would like to jump from one to the next based on their existing order - ascending student ID within each of 8 classes. l only have a phone in class  to record and there is only a gap of about 30 seconds between student presentations, time in which I also may have to deal with other matters.  I really don't want the class waiting while I find the next student.

Maybe the rubric could also be used in a workshop by the student peers - but it must be very simple to navigate, again only using a mobile phone.

Sounds feasible? Moodle 3.4.1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: Grading oral presentations

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi James,

I think in your situation due to your time constraints, I would create an assignment with rubric, but use it after the fact. During class while watching the presentations, I would use a print out of the rubric on paper, then transfer the grade and rubric info into Moodle at a later time.

In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Grading oral presentations

by James Steerpike -

It does look a little more complicated than I thought. I set up a rubric but saw it more as feedback than a rigid grading criteria.  For example I may set volume as something I could comment on but assigning it a grade alongside originality and a compelling presentation would not be fair.  It may be able to make it work but a piece of paper works better - and since I do it in class, why not give feedback directly to the student rather than entering it on Moodle?

I also have to keep the mysteries of Moodle away from my students. My trial assignment popped up a message telling me I had to submit, something which would cause student confusion. I am sure I could suppress it but it is another example where I have tried something new and had unexpected results. I don't think I have time to adequately create and test this activity,