Best place to add a document for many courses

Best place to add a document for many courses

by Leticia Dark-rose -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I have a .PDF which is an extended version of our Student Agreement (User Policy) which is accompanied by a choice activity. The students are required to complete the choice in order to begin the course (i.e. through restrictions), 

However my question is.... is it better to have the .pdf linked via the Server files, or attach a copy in the course each time. And how does this affect thing when I update the document? Does this mean when i update the server file copy, that all instances of the document linked will also be updated automatically?

We are using Version 2.9 an 3.1.Tanks 

Leticia 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leticia Dark-rose

Re: Best place to add a document for many courses

by David Morrow -

Leticia,

There is the option in the site settings to use a site policy:

https://docs.moodle.org/2x/pl/Site_policies#Site_policy_URL

There would be only one policy page, so no multiple copies to change. If there are changes, however, it sounds like resetting things so that existing users have to re-agree has to be does through the database:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=211718

I have not used this feature, so can not speak from experience.

David

In reply to Leticia Dark-rose

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

My solution may not apply to you, but I will provide it.

I would keep this file on my own web server (website), and then use a URL link to it in Moodle.  In other words, one file in one location, linked to by many courses.  When I make changes to this document, it will be correct in all courses.  If your school does not have a web server, you might want to get a personal one.  Of course, this method provides some separation between documents from your Moodle, but it works well.  Actually, I do this, i.e., use a personal repository for all of my course content webpages, and have never thought about doing it differently. 

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Site policy is the easiest way around this. IF they have no completed Site Policy agreement, they cannot access the site. At the end of each academic period, quarter, semester, term, year, course section, whatever, run a cron that resets the Policy Agreement field in the User table to 0. This means they have to redo the agreement once per academic period you define.

As it currently stands, the choice activity is complicating things and I suggest is really not helpful. So unless you can incorporate the activity, or something similar, into the agreement, then it will remain an issue for you.    

Average of ratings: Useful (1)