General help

Bulk create categories.

Picture of MoodleKittyCat .
Bulk create categories.

Is it possible just to bulk upload/create empty course categories into Moodle via upload courses?

We only have the course category names at the moment.

I tried making only one column in .csv file category and uploaded it and it failed. What else do I need to do bulk create about 20 main course categories only. I looked at the docs but there is nothing to show what to do if we just want to bulk create categories (without courses in it). 

Or, we must have course short and full names in order to create course categories in bulk using .csv?

Thanks

Moodle 3.4

Average of ratings: -
Re: Bulk create categories.

Why no response?

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Because everyone who helps here is a volunteer and only see messages from forums they subscribe to. Many others are reluctant to answer people who will not tell us who they are. You can find your answer here: https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Upload_courses

As far as I know one can keep any username they wish to. Putting that condition is not appropriate on users to reveal identities. There are privacy issues that users wish to follow. One must not be deprived of this. There are many users here who have non real usernames. Then, why am i being singled out only? This is not appreciated.

Picture of C Behan
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I agree - there are many valid reasons why people may wish to hide their names.

Why no response? In addition to the reasons given above, sometimes people (not saying you) just post a question here when it is clear that they have not searched the documentation or they haven't learned the basics of Moodle. Rather than search and read it themselves they ask others to do the work for them. I'm not saying this is the case with you here - but there is no documentation for uploading categories which suggests it is not possible.

There is currently no way to upload categories in standard Moodle. However, a Google search shows that there is a plugin on github that facilitates this. https://github.com/piersharding/moodle-tool_uploadcoursecategory 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Thanks but you are indirectly pointing at me. My question was a tough one and that's why no one was able to answer. Anyway, I will look at github.

Thanks.

Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers
With my moderator hat on... I usually ask people who post with 'anonymous' names to consider changing their profile. You are right - you are not the only one and you are not being singled out. I only ask once (unless I forget). 

Moodle being the politically subversive organisation it is, I can well imagine the risk some might run by revealing their true identity. wink

If you don't get an answer please feel free to 'bump' the thread (it may simply have been missed). However, do please consider if you have no answer because your question doesn't make much sense; you are asking others to "do your homework"; it is far too long to read; there is little or no information to go on;   and so on...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Now, this is the way to make a cat like me happy. Anyway, I am not asking anyone to do my homework. My questions have been very complex historically and that's why  I get late or no responses. And, I was not asking for simple course upload csv, I am well aware of that. I was asking specifically to bulk create empty categories only without any courses. This is not possible as you must have 3 field names in the csv file so why are you saying that it is an easy one and I have not read documentation? This is insulting to a person like me who is an experienced Moodler. Seems like we are getting into a 'Cat' fight smile

Anyway, Thanks

Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Rishi... I am inferring absolutely nothing. My remarks about questions not answered were entirely general and aimed to help anybody reading this thread. 

We are definitely not getting into any kind of fight. Well, I am not. Life is too short for that kind of silliness wink

Rishi? What does that mean? Is it slang for good day? Next time, please call me by my real name 'Catalina' or else I will be offended.

Thanks

Picture of C Behan
Particularly helpful Moodlers

big grin