Error - Switch role to Student in a Hidden course

Error - Switch role to Student in a Hidden course

by Sandy Jackson -
Number of replies: 2

Hi fellow Moodlers,

We are in the process of upgrading from 3.2.5 to 3.4.1 and have encountered some changed functionality and I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this/had ideas about it.

In our 3.2 instance I can go to a hidden course (Visible=Hide) as a Teacher and Switch role to a Student to evaluate my course.  When emulating a student I can explore the course fully even though it is technically 'hidden'. 

If I leave the course without returning to my normal role, I will not be able to get back in and the course will not appear on my Dashboard.  This is sort of expected behaviour as I am still a 'Student' and the course is hidden - I have to log out and back in again to get back my to my teacher role.

In 3.4 we have found that trying to switch role to a Student in a hidden course produces the error message 'Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View hidden courses) '.  So it is now enforcing the Student role much more literally inside of the hidden course and no emulation is possible:

Error message

Any ideas?

Many thanks!!

Sandy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sandy Jackson

Re: Error - Switch role to Student in a Hidden course

by Mary Beth McKee -

Hi Sandy,

With our recent upgrade, our users have found this frustrating as well. Did you discover any leads for a workaround?

Mary Beth