General developer forum

Prototyping and Plugin/Theme design

Picture of Mark Chaney
Prototyping and Plugin/Theme design

Hi all, 

About of a general question, but what do people use for designing/developing prototypes, or designs/mockups for Moodle plugins and Moodle Themes

Historically I have used Balsamiq Mockups for wireframing, UML diagrams for classes etc and just simple written tables for designing the databases. 

What tools, techniques, software etc do you use/recomend? I have heard that some use javascript to mock it all up? 

Mark

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Michael Hughes
Re: Prototyping and Plugin/Theme design
Core developersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Balsamiq wireframes, but we run it *inside* a Confluence wiki so that we can collaborate and it doesn't require additional tools (like acrobat reader or word or visio) to access the documentation.

Probably should use UML, but I've personally never found something that takes me far enough to code from a UML model, so might use a UML style diagram (in Balsamiq) to illustrate the structure but not generate any code.

The other thing that's been useful for diagramming etc is Gravit Designer.

I'm curious how you use Javascript to mock something up...surely that's most of the way to building it...

M

Picture of Mark Chaney
Re: Prototyping and Plugin/Theme design

Thanks Michael, Gravit Designer looks like its worth an investigation. 

As for UML: I have build quite a few plugins that require either extensive class hierarchy, or require sub plugins, (im a former JAVA software engineer and so may well over engineer things) and so I have used UML to model them out. 

As for JavaScript used for prototyping: I believe that being part way there to actually building the functionality allows for better usability testing, accessibility testing and is a faster Agile type way of working. Doing a quick Google found this: https://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/create-live-mockups-using-angularjs-121518274 (plus many many more)

I know Bas Brands uses JavaScript to do prototyping (I have messaged him and Tweeted him, but he hasnt got back to me yet - only been a couple of days mind).