How can I disable Course editing permissions for the Manager Role?

How can I disable Course editing permissions for the Manager Role?

by Zhivko Z -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I need to disable Course editing permissions for the Manager Role. I don’t want the Manager Role to be able to edit/delete the Course activities.

I already disabled some Site Administration permissions for this role and it worked (successfully disabled). Then, I disabled the Course Activity permissions on both, Site Level and Course level. However, it didn’t work - the Manager Role is still able to edit the Course!

1.       The Manager Role can still edit Activity Lesson, although I disabled these:

a.       “Edit a Lesson Activity”

b.      “Manage a Lesson Activity”

2.       The Manager Role is still able to edit/delete Quizzes and Questions, although I disabled these:

a.       Manage Quizzes

b.      Configure Question Types

c.       Add new question

d.      Edit all questions

e.      Edit question categories

f.        Move all questions

3.       I have also disabled “Update Course settings”.

What else can I do to disable these Course permissions??

Do I need to also disable these for the role below Manger (the Teacher Role) in order for this to work?

Thank you

Moodle 3.1.2

Windows 10

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zhivko Z

Re: How can I disable Course editing permissions for the Manager Role?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Isn't that (more or less) what the Course Creator role does?

The point of the Manager role is that it *can* do anything. I would leave it alone and use or create another role. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Zhivko Z -

Thank you Moodle Question and Howard.

Manage Activities (moodle/course:manageactivities) was disabled. It turned out that the profile I was using had 2 roles – Teacher and Manager, so I had to disable some permissions for both in order to work.

This is actually a custom role, which I created based on the Manager role. I needed to use the Manager role because I need it to have some permissions on site level (such as Browse list of Users, Edit User Profiles, View Participants)

So, it works now. However, if I enable Manage Activities (moodle/course:manageactivities) and want to disable each activity type separately – it still doesn’t work. I might need this because I may need to enable one custom activity while disabling Lesson, Assignment and Certificate.

In reply to Zhivko Z

by m question -

what the stat for the following capabilities?

mod/lesson:addinstance

mod/lesson:edit

mod/lesson:grade

mod/lesson:manage

mod/lesson:manageoverrides

mod/lesson:viewreports

==========

mod/assign:addinstance

mod/assignment:addinstance

try to disable them all