Backup Problem (3.4.2)

Backup Problem (3.4.2)

by Nuno Miguel Oliveira -
Number of replies: 2

Good afternoon,

I am backing up a course on my Moodle platform and the system is generating the following errors when it reaches 95%:

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, at 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while attempting to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I need your help because I need to make regular backups of the discipline.

I look forward to your help.

Thankful.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nuno Miguel Oliveira

Re: Backup Problem (3.4.2)

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

From this line: 

"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

I would suspect you are on a shared server? If so, then is the course you are trying to backup large? If so, then backup in two parts. In the meantime, you may want to check your PHP settings. Go to Site Admin > Server > PHPInfo and check this setting, max_execution_time: increase to 300. That may or may not help. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nuno Miguel Oliveira

Re: Backup Problem (3.4.2)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Colin might be right, but there could be other reasons for backups throwing that error ... which isn't a Moodle error but an Apache server/setup error.

In moodle, go to Site Admin -> Server -> PHP info

Two lines:
System and Server API

What do they say?

Your server appears to be hosted with Linode.   They offer many different flavors/setups ... example: operating systems: CentOS 6 and 7, Debian, Ubuntu ... as well as web services ... nginx, apache2, and lightspeed. etc.

While they are all Linux, there is enough of a difference such that one needs to find Linode's docs that are specific to your setup.

Perhaps your best resource for setup of servers on Linode is this:
https://linode.com/docs/web-servers/

I don't host with Linode ... so if we start asking specific questions as to how Linode does things you are much better off contacting Linode tech support or browsing Linode forums.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)