Open: New Window results in popup Chrome & Edge

Open: New Window results in popup Chrome & Edge

by Kerry Pinny -
Number of replies: 0

Hello,

I am trying to get to the bottom of differing behaviour with the browsers when opening a SCORM package. We are using Moodle 3.2 and the user created the SCORM in Articulate Storyline 2.

The SCORM appearance settings are set to New Window. In IE 11 and Firefox 57 that is the behaviour, the package opens in a completely new window. However, in Edge and Chrome 65 it opens in a popup window.

This would not be an issue but when a student clicks on a URL inside the SCORM package the webpage opens a tab in the original window, not in the popup window where the SCORM has opened. I know a popup window will not display tabs. The issue here is the popup window is lost behind the original window, separating the URL content from the SCORM package.

The user wants the URLs to open as a new tab in the same window as the SCORM. As is the experience in IE and Firefox.

Every browser displays display=popup&mode=normal&mode=normal but seemingly treats a 'popup' instruction differently.

So my question is, is this just a case of Chrome and Edge interpreting the browser opening instruction differently? Therefore, not something we can resolve within Moodle.

Average of ratings: -