Completed activity is not shown as complete

Completed activity is not shown as complete

by Aaron Hoffer -
Number of replies: 4
I'm missing something about activity completion in Moodle 3.4 (MoodleCloud).

I created a non-graded activity that can be marked by students as completed.

My student has enrolled in the course and marked the activity as completed. However, the course status completion block shows the activity is not completed.  I assumed that if the student checks the activity as complete, then Moodle will show it as completed. What am I missing?

I have attached a screenshot. It shows one of two activities marked as complete. It also shows the course status completion block, where I can see that Moodle does not consider the activity to be completed. I thought maybe I had to wait for a chron job to run, but after almost an hour of waiting, the Moodle still thinks the activity is not complete. 

Attachment activity-not-completed.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaron Hoffer

Re: Completed activity is not shown as complete

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you as admin go to Site administration> Server>Scheduled tasks and see when Calculate regular completion data last ran?

And can you confirm that the two activities in your course completion block are actually the two activities shown in your screenshot?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Aaron Hoffer -

Than you Mary. 

I believe I found the problem. The completion criteria for "STEPP Traning" depended on the completion of another course, "OSGi". I was not able to remove this dependency through the UI. And because I'm on moodlecloud, I don't think I can edit the database tables directly.

I confirmed I had a data integrity issue. I deleted the course "OSGi". After that course was deleted, I visited the completion criteria for "STEPP Training". I received an error message that a row in the database was missing. 

I backed up the "STEPP Training" course, then deleted the active course (I chose not to backup enrollments). Then I restored the course.

After "STEP Training" was restored, I re-ran my test.

After some work, both activities for the student are marked complete.

The progress/completion views show the student has not completed either task.

Are the progress/completion tables updated by a chron job?

Please see four attached screenshots and a PDF of the scheduled tasks.

In reply to Aaron Hoffer

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you have a course whose completion is dependent on another one being complete, then you can remove this requirement by removing the completions in the first course. (Or you should be able to do so.) Completion is updated by a scheduled task as in my earlier post. I am sorry I can't help with anything regarding the database or cron as I am not knowledgeable about these.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Aaron Hoffer -

Thank you. I did not know I had to remove prior course completions. Because I'm learning Moodle and setting up a Moodle demo, I routinely do things that no Moodle administrator would do in an operational setting.