Authentication through PayPal Subscription Password Management

Authentication through PayPal Subscription Password Management

by Chardelle Busch -
Number of replies: 21
Picture of Core developers
I was wondering if anyone had written code to (or if it would be possible to) have user authentiction set up against a PayPal subscription.  I was thinking that since the PayPal code stuff had already been written for course enrollment, that maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to modify it to have some sort of PayPal subscription authentication.  Anyone have any insight into this?  Thanks

This comes from the PayPal subscription info:

With Subscriptions Password Management, PayPal can generate unique
usernames and passwords for your subscribers, enabling them to access
"member only" content on your site.
After a customer signs up for a subscription, he will be given a unique
username and password on the PayPal Successful Completion page. You
will then activate the username/password pair on your website's server
through code you write.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: Authentication through PayPal Subscription Password Management

by Adriaan van der Bergh -
Hi,

I have been waiting for someone to develop a paypal subscriptions mod. But there has been no development that I know of, so I modified the existing Paypal subscription module.

Basically, I only changed the way in which the payment page is called. I will have a relatively small number of students (<80) on my site. So I didn't make use of the IPN (PayPal username) function.

This module will work exactly like the old one... but instead of having to make a single payment, the user has to make a subscription, if this is created successfully, he is sent back and enrolled... When a user cancels a subscription, PayPal will send an email, alerting you of the subscription. It is then up to you to manually unenrol that user.

I know this is not the most graceful way of doing this, but it's the only way I can manage...

This has not yet been tested, as I cannot send payments to myself. But it will be tested shortly...

If anyone is interested in getting this mod form me, please reply here.

Hope this can al least be the start of a brand new paypal module.

PS: It has only been tested on Moodle 1.5.4
In reply to Adriaan van der Bergh

by James Reed -
Hi,

I would be very interested in having a copy of this mod. For the site I am developing it appears that a subscription model is the way forward.

How is the testing going?

Thanks in advance,

James

by Aisha Abdul Rahman -
We need a really smart cookie for this project. Is there anyone out there even with payment possibly. I am using moodle to host online courses and I would to have the instructors pay a registration fee via paypal in order to authenticate membership.

by Rambabu Dola -
Hi,

How do we use paypal through moodle without register into paypal?
Thanks in advance,
In reply to Rambabu Dola

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
you or the person who is charging money for moodle course access MUST have a paypal account. the paypal account information (email address) must then be added tosite admin/courses/enrolments/paypal

naturally, the paypal enrolment type must be enabled in moodle global settings, then selected as the enrolment type for the said course(s) and cost set.

http://yourmoodlesite.com/admin/enrol_config.php?enrol=paypal
In reply to Chad Outten

by Rambabu Dola -
Hi Chad Outten,

But, the person/user who is buying course should also have a paypal account? this is what the moodle is asking at the time of buying to registartion process where we need to proivide paypal account id and password.

In reply to Rambabu Dola

by Alan Barrett -

If I understand correctly your question...

The person purchasing the course does not have to have a PayPal account. If the person does not have a PayPal account, PayPal will allow the person purchasing the course to pay by credit card.

Alan.

In reply to Alan Barrett

by Rambabu Dola -
Hi Alan Barret,

Pls see the attached screen shot where it is asking for the credit card number as well as to create a password, which means it is asking to create a paypal account to buy a course. Ideally a buyer should not have to create a paypal account .

Attachment untitled.jpg
In reply to Rambabu Dola

by Alan Barrett -

I have attached a screen shot of the first PayPal page I get when I click on the Send Payment Button in Moodle. Circled in black you will see a "Continue" button that allows you to pay with a credit card instead of logging in to PayPal.

Note if you have a credit card already registered with PayPal, then PayPal will not accept that credit card without first logging in. Otherwise you do not need to login to PayPal and can Pay via the credit card as normal.

When I press the continue button, I get a similar screen to the one you have pasted above but without the "Create PayPal Password" and "Confirm Password" lines which allows me to pay by credit card only.

I do not know why you are getting the screen you see, maybe it is different in different countries. Maybe in India, PayPal forces you to create an account.

Alan.

Attachment PayPalScreen.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alan Barrett

by Rambabu Dola -
HI Alen,

Thanks a lot for ur reply.What is the version you are using? here iam using 1.9.5, or is there any configuration for paypal, as of now i have just set paypal enrollment only.

In reply to Alan Barrett

by Rambabu Dola -
Hi Alan,

Actually the page is getting changed according to the country. I tried changeing the country og the buyer and the options/field of the form of paypal are getting changed. It means there is some country dependency.

Can u pls tell me what details(Country,city......) u have given for a buyer.
In reply to Rambabu Dola

by Alan Barrett -

To answer your questions...

I am using 1.9.7, but it was the same when I was using 1.9.4 and 1.9.6, so that is not an issue.

I have used Ireland and Dublin, but our customers are using many countries (not India I think).

When I choose India, as a buyer, the form updates but I do not get the extra password fields.

One thing that occurs to me... Is your PayPal account a business PayPal account? A personal account has limitations on the amount of credit card payments.

It also occurs to me that you may only be allowed use credit cards for some minimum payment amount... I do not know that, but the thought just occurred to me.

Maybe, also, you should make a support request to PayPal.

Alan.

In reply to Alan Barrett

by Alan Barrett -

Also there is a validation process for your business PayPal account, which involves PayPal taking a test payment from your credit card to verify who you are. There is also some other process to do to fully enable your account. Have you done all his?

Alan.

In reply to Alan Barrett

by Rambabu Dola -
Hi Alan,

I dont have any business id, right now iam doing with dummy business id.
In reply to Rambabu Dola

by Alan Barrett -

Well you need to have a business PayPal account to recieve more than 5 (I think I remember) credit card payments and there are probably other limitations for a personal account (including possibly that the Moodle interface might not work??).

It is free to get an account. The process is not complicated if you get it in your own name. It can be more complicated for a company.

Alan.

In reply to Alan Barrett

by Rambabu Dola -
Great!! It worked..
Thanks a lot Alan.
I missed the major part(creating a business account in PayPal).
Now I have created and it is working well.
Thanks a lot for all your support.

Thanks & Regards,
Rambabu.

by Mike Finney -

Just an FYI... we will have one the does all the functionality of the regular Paypal plugin.. but with subscriptions... in the next week. Hopefully this will be helpful to everyone. I will post here when it is available. PM me if you would be interested in this.

In reply to Mike Finney

by Derek Chirnside -

I've just had the four copies you sent of this post delivered to my intray.

Mike, is this being released through the plugins, through GIT or 'other' or it is a commercial product?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Mike Finney -

I apologize Derek. Wanted to get the word out since I saw so many discussions on it. Forgot that some may also be subscribed to multiple boards on this. On how it will be released, I leave that up to the developer since it is his project. Should have more info today.

In reply to Mike Finney

by Mike Finney -

OK.. The Paypal Subscription plugin is done. It will allow you to choose between One Time Payment or Subscription. Will also allow you to set one price for initial payment and a different for ongoing subscription payment. It replaces your existing Paypal plugin. Unfortunately, we will have to recoup some costs for the moment, but here is the link if anyone is interested in purchasing it...

https://elightenment.qx.ly/b/Gi0A

In reply to Mike Finney

by andrew nelson -

HI - does this plugin require a particular version of Moodle?  eg. latest?