share questions between courses

share questions between courses

by Jesús Fernández Hernández -
Number of replies: 6

I have several courses of different levels, in which I share questions. Now I create the questions in a course and I export it to the others, but if I make changes, I have to do it in all the courses. How can I have a common category to my courses where to put these questions?

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jesús Fernández Hernández

Re: share questions between courses

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You should read this - Question_sharer

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

It is a solution for a small number of teachers with their own questions. Is it not possible to have a personal category for each teacher, just as you have a personal folder for the files of each teacher?

Thanks for your answer

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If I understand your question (I'm not sure I do) each teacher can have their own question category. If they want to share the questions in the category between courses then it needs to be created at a higher level in Moodle (Course Category or Site level) so that each course can "see" it. Each teacher also needs to have sufficient permissions (i.e. be given question sharing rights at the higher level). However, this is what the page I linked explains (I hope).

You have understood correctly. I have tried the proposed solution and it works. In my school we are 150 professors, do I need to create 150 profiles and 150 categories? I have another problem, there are often substitute teachers, do I also need to create the profiles and categories for these teachers in addition to registering them? Would not it be interesting that the category will be created by teacher when registering it?

Greetings and thanks for your reply Howard.

by Howard Miller -

If you want my opinion.... although the question sharing mechanism does work... (as you have spotted) it is very difficult to administer. 

You are right. You need to create all these categories (if you definitely need them), you need to maintain the roles of all these teachers AND you need to deal with them when half of them get confused. Which they will. 

It's a far from elegant system for sharing questions but (unless I've missed something) that's what we have at the moment. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

I totally agree with your appreciation of the problem. My opinion on this is that the questions should not only be classified by the courses, but also by the teachers, which is another fundamental unit within the school and that is more common to the courses. I will propose this possible improvement in "future main characteristics" and maybe in the not too distant future to count on it.

Sincere thanks for your help Howard and greetings.