Moodle hanging when grading assignment

Moodle hanging when grading assignment

by Susana L. -
Number of replies: 6

Hi!

We are using Moodle 3.1 and we are experiencing a major problem with grading assignments. Teachers are complaining that Moodle hangs when they click "Grading" on the assignment grading table. User session gets completely freezed and they are only able to use moodle again after closing the browser.

This is not something that happens every time (making it difficult to reproduce) but I was able to reproduce it a couple of times. We get the error described on https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-57259 but even after patching moodle 3.1 the error persists.

We also have the following error log (example): Cannot obtain session lock for sid: e7ek6iojlde7nsf6p36apubid2, referer: https://[moodle]/mod/assign/view.php?id=12646&rownum=0&action=grader&userid=13458

We can't disable unoconv now because the pdf annotations done so far get lost if we do so, so we keep telling our teachers that they should enable quick grading and not touch on grading buttons! (They keep saying: "I never had problems before with grading assignments.... why did it changed?")

If someone has this same problem and was able to solve it somehow please let me know how you did it.

Thank you!
susana

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susana L.

Re: Moodle hanging when grading assignment

by Marianne Michel -

Hello.

We solved the problem (Debian 8, Moodle 3.3.1+) creating a .config file in /var/www (home directory of the user www-data) and made a chown www-data:www-data on the file.

After that, you will need to convert twice a first file.

Marianne.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marianne Michel

by Susana L. -

Thank you Marianne, but your correction did not solve the problem.

Best,
susana

In reply to Susana L.

by Susana L. -

Hi,

This is the worst problem we had in these last few years with Moodle. We regret having enabled PDF annotations! sad
We will upgrade to Moodle 3.5 for the next academic year and we are considering using google converter or disable the feature at all.

I would like to know if anyone is having this same issue with moodle 3.5...

Best,
susana

Attachment erro-pdf-converter-assignments.png
In reply to Susana L.

by Hittesh Ahuja -

Hi Susana,

We are still partially struggling with it .. I say partilly as students are not on campus anymore so the load of submissions are now managable ( to an extent) smile . But, with regards to 3.4+ I think there is now a queue handler for pdf submissions that handles submissions in a more graceful way by which I mean that when a conversion fails you don't have to force clear it so the queue can keep moving which I believe although does solve the problem for us ,it makes it much more managable! 

Hittesh

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Hittesh Ahuja

by Susana L. -

Hi Hittesh,

Thank you for your input.

I just found out that on Moodle 3.5 we can also enable or disable Annotate PDF on course module instance level. So the teacher can activate or deactivate this feature for a specific assignment. These are good news!

Best,
susana