Cool! Using MOODLE in your MOBILE phone while you drink a beer

Cool! Using MOODLE in your MOBILE phone while you drink a beer

by David Delgado -
Number of replies: 13

It is very easy to get that working:

You just need to use a good Internet browser for your mobile phone. Beware: do NOT use a WAP nor an IMODE (for Mobile phones pages only) Internet browser, but a general Internet browser, such as Opera Mobile.

In my case, I have an average multimedia mobile phone: my old Motorola V300 and I use it to work anywhere I go, just browsing the Internet, as I do at work. I also have an e-mail in it, so it is very useful to keep connected when you go to have a drink with your friends or so, keeping an eye from time to time in your important projects. I use to have a look at my web sites and course servers, and even to enter http://moodle.org.

It is really amazing to have your whole work in a 122 grames (4.3 oz) device that you can control with just one hand, while holding your cold beer in the other one. wink

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Delgado

Re: Cool! Using MOODLE in your MOBILE phone while you drink a beer

by Timothy Takemoto -
Please bear in mind that we (or rather Jamie Pratt) should have moodle multiple choice quizzes available in imode phones soon, especially now that it is possible to access Moodle with cookie-less browsers.
Then you should be able to access moodle while drinking an ice cold sake.
Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Eliyahu Mitterhoff -
1. Can you post to the forums from a moble device?
2. What about uploading pictures from your cell phone?
In reply to Eliyahu Mitterhoff

by Timothy Takemoto -
No, no forums yet or uploading pictures. But I am sure that Jamie Pratt would be happy (and very capable) of programming these functions for you, for at a guess, less than 5000 dollars. Or even perhaps half that. Please ask Jamie.
Tim
In reply to Eliyahu Mitterhoff

by Andreas Forstinger -
Hello,
I'm sorry I did not see your post earlier. If you are interested, since my thesis I am working on a mobile rich client application (Java Mobile) which allows for mobile access to Moodle.
The thing special about it is, that in comparison with browser-only solutions it allows to use the device hardware. I.e. you can take photos, record audio and even video. All this can directly be uploaded e.g. to a forum as an attachment.
Furthermore the data traffic is minimized, so the cost of "moodling" on your mobile is lower than just using a browser. We even have a new solution which allows to make use of a Bluetooth server that connects you to the internet if you work in a fixed environment (e.g. classroom) at no cost at all.
I would be glad to give you further information, as I always appreciate feedback and inputs for future work!
Regards,
Andreas
In reply to Andreas Forstinger

Vast: Re: Cool! Using MOODLE in your MOBILE phone while you drink a beer

by Kyösti Vaara -

Hello Andreas

That is interesting. I would like to get further information about that Java Mobile solution. I have made some trials to use Moodle in moble but I am not happy with that.

Kyösti

In reply to Kyösti Vaara

Re: Vast: Re: Cool! Using MOODLE in your MOBILE phone while you drink a beer

by Andreas Forstinger -

Hi Kyösti!

Sorry for not catching back earlier, was a bit stressed last couple of weeks smile

Perhaps we manage to have a chat via Skype this week. I will call you ;)

Greetz, Andreas

by Jubin Chheda -
I'd like to know more about your work as well. Do let me know where I can read more on it.

Jubin
In reply to Jubin Chheda

by Andreas Forstinger -

Hello Jubin (and all others interested)

unfortunately I did not manage to read through this forums for quite a while.

Finally we managed to get a little project page online at www.mobilemoodle.org. Please be welcome to visit and find out about the project.

Perhaps it can be of some value for someone.

Regards,

Andreas

by Priya Krishnan -

Hi there,

I have installed standard version of Momo client application on Windows mobile Xda Stellar. I have created contents (mainly MLOs) in Momo playground and accessed it over the phone. I could acess them initially.

I did some changes in those i have created and again checked it through the application, the recent changes (updates) were not coming up..

I uninstalled and then re-installed the application. It dint work !!

The problem still persists ..

Could anyone tell me why it happens ..

Please help

Thanks

by Leonore Dietrich -
I would also be really interested in further information on your work. I'm writing my thesis on mobile learning in middle-school maths classes and planning on doing some problem-solving-training courses based on moodle but running on mobile devices (if handhelds or cells not really decided yet).

Eager for any new development information on mobile moodle wink

Leonore
In reply to Leonore Dietrich

by Andreas Forstinger -

Hi Leonore,

sorry.

As I just posted in another thread, we presented our solution ("momo") at the Moodle conference in Graz, Austria last week. There will be the presentation and a screencast I think.

We also have a demonstration and testing site where you find further information and also can try it out yourself.

@all: feel free to register at www.mobileclassroom.at
I must admit that the site is currently being reworked and not all materials might already be available in english. But I will regularly send out mails to the registered users, so I will let you know when work is finished.

Cheers, Andreas

In reply to David Delgado

by Patrick Malley -
... or, you could just buy an iphone. smile