Navigation and Admin block issues after upgrade to 2.9.2

Navigation and Admin block issues after upgrade to 2.9.2

by Mike Morkes -
Number of replies: 9

We are upgrading from version 2.6 to version 2.9 as an incremental upgrade. 

Currently testing the 2.9 upgrade on a local install using a copy of the "live" database.

Version 2.6 has the My Profile link in the navigation block, and the My Profile Settings in the Administration menu block. They are missing on the local install running version 2.9. Have (seemingly) determined it's not a theme issue, as it is persistent even after several theme changes. Using the local_navigation plugin created by Carlos Escobedo, I can add back in the My Profile link by hand to the Navigation block, but it appears at the end, instead of below Site Pages...and that doesn't solve my missing link in the Admin block.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Morkes

Re: Navigation and Admin block issues after upgrade to 2.9.2

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As soon as you say... "it's not the theme" wink

Can you confirm that you have tried this with a "core" theme included in 2.9 (as opposed to some custom theme)?  The top-right drop-down is part of the theme so this is most likely the problem. 

If that doesn't work, what *do* you see at the top-right of the page (compare with the profile link on *this* site)?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mike Morkes -

I ran it with the Clean theme and the problem still existed, plus a couple of other custom themes we had that aren't based on the Bootstrap 3 theme (which is what our current theme is a child of).

This is an issue with the Navigation block and the Administration block, which are normally found on the left side of the page, not the nav bar on the top right in a dropdown. That dropdown has been customized on our end, and is working as expected.

In reply to Mike Morkes

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When you cloned the 2.6 to test upgrades, you did use the production server code?    Yes?  That plugin should be there.

However, please see:

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=local_navigation

There is a version specific to 1.3 (2016110101) Moodle 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 ... what version do you have in the test environment?

And, of course, turning on Debugging all the way to developer might actually show info that would be of use to you.

Uhhh ... 2.9.2 is not the highest 2.9!  https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases#Moodle_2.9  Would think you'd need to be using 2.9.9.

Why are you using 2.9.2?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mike Morkes -

The third-party plug-in was not part of the production code. I only added it to see if moodle would allow me to write to the Navigation block. I probably should have been more clear, the local_navigation plugin isn't a factor beyond making sure I had some sort of write access to the block.

I have developer debugging on, and it's not throwing up anything.

Technically, this is an install of Totara 2.9.2, which was provided by our vendor. Said vendor is dragging their feet on getting us registration keys and support logins, so I can't sign into Totara to get support. I came over here hoping someone might have a simple fix if it was close enough to moodle 2.9. 

In reply to Mike Morkes

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Oh ... Totara is a 'fork' ... most folks in these forums run 'plain jane'  Moodle so probably wouldn't know specifics to suggest ... like me.

However, having said that ... check out https://github.com/totara for extra specials?

and a resource: https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TL29/Upgrading+from+Moodle

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mike Morkes -

Thanks Ken! I've gone through the upgrade walkthrough already, but the github link was new to me. Many thanks!

In reply to Mike Morkes

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Totara isn't Moodle. They moved away from Moodle some time ago. If you are using it you really need to rely on their provided support. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mike Morkes -

Yes, I'm aware that Totara 2.9 is a fork of Moodle; however, they didn't really completely move away from moodle until version 9. As I mentioned before, our vendor is dragging their feet on getting us registration keys and support logins, so I can't sign into Totara to get support. I came over here hoping someone might have a simple fix if it was close enough to moodle 2.9. Apparently, that is not the case.

In reply to Mike Morkes

by Howard Miller -

This is a prime candidate for being a "Totara only" customisation. I've not seen Totara in ages so can't be sure.