Forums are not restored properly in 1.5.3?

Forums are not restored properly in 1.5.3?

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 7
I've restored a few courses on a test site I've installed in my computer and I'm experiencing what seems to me to be problem. Before posting any bug report, I want to make sure this is indeed a problem rather than a manifestation of my ignorance.

I've restored the backup course with everything checked (including user data). All the postings are there. I can get to them by clicking on a user profile and going to 'forum posts'. They are visible there. However if I click on any of the forum icons in the course, I get a note that says "There are no discussion topics yet in this forum".

Is this a problem or the old postings are not supposed to be visible when you restore a course as a new course? If it is supposed to be this way, how can one make them visible? I'd like the students in the new course to be able to see and even answer the postings from students from the previous year.

Josep M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Forums are not restored properly in 1.5.3?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Josep,

sorry by the delay (I've been out some days). cool

About your problem, could you send me the backup file (privately) to check it against my test servers? My non-reflexive answer is that nothing should have changed in forum restore to cause such problems and posts should be visible completely. But, perhaps some problem in groups (are you using groups?) could be the cause...

I'll check it here and keep you informed...ciao smile

by Samuli Karevaara -
I noticed that this happens with the Forums of the type "A single simple discussion". The forums worked if I changed them to be "Standard forum of general use".

by Drew Keller -
We have had a similiar problem on our test server we conducted a upgrade from 1.5 to 1.5.3 we lose the forums completely. These are 'simple discussion forums' that disappear. We feel that we will be unable to migrate to the newer version because we are currently running a course. Is there a way around this? Is the issue only with 1.5.3?

Version Moodle 1.5 + (2005060201)
PHP Version 5.0.4
MYSQL 5.0

by Drew Keller -
We have also noticed that Assignments disappear. If you would like to take a look use the temporary test server for the upgrade is http://199.111.28.106/moodle  use the login student2 and password test and look in the only course to view the forums gone and assignments... they just have an icon.
In reply to Drew Keller

by Drew Keller -
We solved this problem by correctly closing the MySQL data by doing a dump. When we just copied and pasted the data files to teh test server we esentially corrupted the forum and assignement tables. Had we just upgraded on the live server everything would have been fine. Instead we tested on a seperate server and did not correctly move the data files. The moodle instructions/guidelines cover this as long as you follow it to the letter.  

by Jim Zaborowski -
I had a similar problem when I moved my site onto another box....I could see that the postings to the forums existed but couldn't display them. I went into each forum and changed the "Read tracking for this forum?" setting to "on," and all of the posts then re-appeared. Go figure.