Is it possible to rename a plugin?

Is it possible to rename a plugin?

by Paul Vaughan -
Number of replies: 3

I've just been 'given' the plugin I developed for my current employer as they're not going to be using Moodle much longer, so that I can maintain it myself.  One condition was that I remove all references to the company from the plugin, functions and all (which is not a problem as it's not a huge plugin).  Let's say the plugin is called `local_companyplugin`.

I have effectively renamed the plugin to `local_plugin`.  The issue I have is that when I try to upload a new version of the plugin with 'company' removed, the Moodle plugin database is still expecting the plugin to be called `local_companyplugin`, and complains about:

• Component declared in version.php file: local_plugin does not match the expected component: local_companyplugin
  • Important English language file not found. Searching for file companyplugin/lang/en/local_companyplugin.php
...as it seems that it's expecting `local_companyplugin` as it was originally named.  
So, can I fundamentally rename the plugin, or so I need to deprecate this one and register a new one?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Vaughan

Re: Is it possible to rename a plugin?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Might be a silly question, but have you renamed the parent folder? That looks like it's still trying to find files in the folder /companyplugin but can't find them because you've renamed the files themselves and references in them. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Paul Vaughan -

Hi Richard.  That's a fair question, and I've missed such things before, but in this case it was automatically pulling the code from GitHub.

Hmm, I've just tagged and uploaded a slightly older version of the plugin (basically the commit before I renamed everything) and that was accepted just fine.  Maybe I should deprecate this plugin and register a new one.

In reply to Paul Vaughan

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
If you're talking about the Moodle plugins db - then yes you will need to register a new plugin. you can update the description of the old one to point to the new one. You may also want to write some form of upgrade/conversion script to allow people to upgrade from the old plugin to your new one. 

Here's how I managed the change from mod_attforblock to mod_attendance - it might be useful?

https://github.com/danmarsden/moodle-mod_attendance/blob/MOODLE_27_STABLE/version.php#L34

It's a bit nasty and is really an abuse of verison.php but worked ok - I then eventually removed it from version.php

Average of ratings: Useful (1)