General developer forum

How to install an edited moodle activity as a new plugin?

Picture of v k
How to install an edited moodle activity as a new plugin?

Hi friends!

In Moodle v.3.1, I've edited the /mod/quiz activty so that it works the way I want. 

Now I have another pure Moodle installation with /mod/quiz unchanged.

Ho can I move 'edited quiz' from Moodle 1 to Moodle 2, so that Moodle 2 recognizes it as a new plugin/activity to be installed, so that there will be standard quiz and 'edited quiz' alongside?

Hope somebody gives answer smile

Average of ratings: -
Picture of v k
Re: How to install an edited moodle activity as a new plugin?

Ok, what's done up to now:

I copied the /mod/quiz folder to the /local folder

Then I renamed all occurences of the 'quiz' to 'quiz_edited' for both files' names and its content.

I failed to rename some files in /yui/build.., so I've just deleted the 'build' folder hoping that is not a big thing in core functionality...

After that, I increased the version index in /local/quiz_edited/version.php

I hoped after all that done, the site would recognize a new module to be installed, but nothing happened. I tried to purge all caches, and visited Administration/Notofocation page - no mentionings of 'quiz_edited'.

Also I went to Administration/Plugins/Local, but is said 'Nothing to display'.

If I type in address manually (like siteurl/mod/quiz/view.php?id=777 I changed to siteurl/local/quiz_edited/view.php?id=777) and go to it, the site says that I do not have permissions for '/mod/quiz_edited:..."

So could somebody give a tip please, what should I change in php files, or maybe delete something, so that the site recognizes a new module? Also, the similar question for adding capabilities...

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Well, the first thing you'll have to do is put it back in the mod folder alongside /quiz. 

Picture of v k

Hi, Richard,

Thank you for your help.

I've put the 'quiz_edited' folder back in the /mod folder alongside 'quiz'.

Also I added 'quiz_edited' to the 'modules' table. But when I go to Administration / Plugins / Activity modules / Mange activity modules, it shows error like the is no $string['modulename'] in /lang/en/quiz_edited.php.. But I checked - such a string exists.. Why Moodle doesn't recognize it?

Also now, when trying to go to /mod/quiz_edited/view.php?id=777, I get this:

Invalid component used in plugin_supports():mod_quiz_edited

I know it looks like I am doing it the wrong way, but how to do the basics:
What should be done step-by-step to make Moodle system recognize my 'quiz_edited' folder, which is at 90% similar to the original 'quiz' folder?

Thanks all helpers!