Indicating regressions in release notes pages?

Indicating regressions in release notes pages?

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

After upgrading from Moodle 3.3.4 to 3.3.5, i've discovered a regression (MDL-61723), causing lot of backups impossible to make anymore. I've also seen several other problems described in MDL-61724.

I had the idea to indicate this in Moodle 3.3.5 release notes, to allow other people know this problem, and be able to decide if they want to update (or not), knowing that. I've seen that my indications have been removed.

Moodle indicate that minor versions fix bugs, and that you should always update to the more recent minor version. It's exactly what i do.

But when doing that, i expect to have bugs fixed, not to have regressions that add bugs where everything was OK !

What i don't understand is, when we know there are problems (regressions), why don't we inform people, to let them decide what to do?

I find nothing harder than suddenly discover problems in production where everything was OK. And it's a great frustration, time spent for nothing, potentially several tracker issue created, and unhappy users (of all kind), that could have been easily avoided.

So, i'd like to understand which good reason there is to not indicate regressions.

Séverin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: Indicating regressions in release notes pages?

by Gilles Le Page -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello séverin

I don't notice this problem on my Moodle 3.4.2

Automatic backup are ok in a repository files system

Gilles

In reply to Gilles Le Page

Re: Indicating regressions in release notes pages?

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Gilles,

Have you read MDL-61723 in detail? I suppose that, if you've got no problem, it's because you don't have too long "course shortname".

I didn't want to say that it impacts everybody, but for people/plateform/institutions impacted, it's really painfull.

Moreover, the aim of this discussion is more about the principle to indicate regressions in release notes (or not).

Séverin