Moodle for mobile

Global search in mobile app

Picture of Patrick Fleckenstein
Global search in mobile app

Hello,

I wonder if there is a way to get global search functionality useable in the mobile app?
The only seach I can find in the app is course search.

Did you know about current possibilities or is this feature planed in near future releases?

Regards
Patrick

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dave Perry
Re: Global search in mobile app
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Probably (currently) only in a custom app with extra work.

Moodle ran a GSOC project to build a better search a few years ago (for the desktop site), but it required java and a servlet container to be instaleld on the server which seemed liked extra faffing to us - so we wrote our own search. That wouldn't help for the app though.

Global search (webinterface) is working and is adequate at the moment.

Shouldn't it be quite easy to implement this in the mobile app?

I'm afraid I have to familiarise the mobile app development tongueout

Just to clarify...

In your opinion, a remote addon would be the best way to keep update compatibility of the mobile app?

Picture of Dave Perry
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Really it should be a core app feature. But the developers have other things on the roadmap and may not have considered this (they'll need to chime in). A plugin, if someone can develop that quicker than they can build the feature into core, isn't a bad idea - the framework for this is changing in the next major release though, so until it's documented probably best no-one puts much time into it beyond proof of concept maybe.

Has global search on web stopped needing java gubbins to work then? We are moving to Canvas at the behest of our CEO next academic year, so my development time with moodle isn't really there now, I am continuing to follow things as best I can.