Student need to choose Language 2 times

by Narit B -
Number of replies: 13

Hi

I'm using moodle 3.3 on NAS system.

First, in the login page -> they already selected the Language  for example Thai

After they login the Language change back to English so Second, they need to change to Thai again.

How can I set this issue or any recommend?

Thank you

Attachment Login11 Lang.JPG
Attachment Login22 Lang.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Narit B

Re: Student need to choose Language 2 times

by Narit B -

Have everyone had issue like this?  or how to manage this issue?

Thank you

In reply to Narit B

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

No, this is not a common issue Narit, as for repairing it.... mmm I suspect there is only one way, and that is not going to be easy. 

1. Create a Moodle instance for every language. They can all run on the same server and each can have their own database and moodledata directory, or you can use a common database, but that might be a little trickier to manage. As long as the cookie prefix is different for each Moodle it will work, even if they have two different language Moodle open at the same time.  

2. In the config.php file, add a code that will select the Moodle that is the required Moodle based on their user name. I recall this or something similar to this was done years ago, but I don't have the coding skill to be able to do it. It will also require, I expect, a field in the User table of the database that is looked at first that determines the Moodle they go to. Be a slick fix if you can get it to work. 

OR 

2. When they go to login they reach a landing page that gives them the option of which language they want to use. which then takes them to the login page of the Moodle of choice. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Narit B -

Hi Colin Fraser

Thank you for your information and recommended.

Yes, Understood this is not a common issue and I also don't have much the database management & coding skill to do that.

Btw, I like the 2nd solution from your recommended that "Students go to login they reach a landing page that gives them the option of which language they want to use. which then takes them to the login page of the Moodle of choice."       

Is it difficult to that & how?  or is it possible to hide the Language function in only the login page?

Thank you once again

In reply to Narit B

by Colin Fraser -

Create a directory tree structure that looks like

/moodleroot/ [contains 2 files index.html and the htaccess files.] The link to this file is [path/to/server]/moodleroot/  The htaccess file does other things to protect your server. 

index.html

menu option <a href="/moodleengi/">English</a>

menu option <a href="/moodlehind/">Hindi</a>

menu option <a href="/moodlechi/">Chinese</a> 

menu option <a href="/moodlethai/">Thai</a>

menu option <a href="/moodlemay/">Malay</a>

and so on

/Moodleeng/

/Moodlehind/

/Moodlechi/

/Moodlethai/

/Moodlemay/

or any directory tree structure you want The main element is the menu in index.html located in the moodleroot directory that is the initial landing page and all it does is to relay to the Moodle you want to use.  

You can have any number of Moodles as long as you have the disk space to carry it. 

In a NAS, there are two things you may need to know, one is how to make your own package files, This allows you to set up each Moodle using the NAS itself. Depending on your NAS manufacturer, there are a number of different options. I really don't know if you can just setup and use a PHP app like Moodle without installing it via a package. Never tried it. Otherwise, what you may be able to do is to direct where the package installs to, but then, not tried that either. The other is that your NAS should be multi bayed, which means you can add large drives to suit the number of bays you have.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Narit B -

Hi Colin Fraser

thank you for instructions.

I think this solution is a good way for who are have a good skill in coding or database management but for me not good enough on that knowledge yet.

Thank you once again

In reply to Narit B

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Moodle has all kinds of switches to control its multilingual behaviour. Here is a plan _without_ really testing (what I would expect):

1. Language before the user logs in
1.a Language autodetect: OFF
Moodle delivers in the Default language

1.b Language autodetect: ON
Moodle will compare the available languages of the site with the language settings of the client's browser and delivers in the best match. If no matches, then in the Default language.

2. Language after the user logged in
The language will be Users preferred language (in his profile)

3. Language once the user attends a course
Follows the language settings of the course

For more details, read the documentation in the Languages forum.

@Colin, in a setting which I manage, separating the users to participate in different courses, not to mention in different sites, is not practicable. Because they work as a group! Here's the background: The participants are teachers, who will later teach in their local language, either Sinhala or Tamil. The subject matter is technical, engineering, so the common sources are in English. The participants *work together* in English, and in parallel create content in their own language. In short, the course happens in a mixed language mode!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Colin Fraser -

And that exposes my lack of understanding due to the fact that I am in a single language environment, so take a sledgehammer approach to the issue..smile. Oh, I have been in a number of schools that have high numbers of immigrants, one school had over 100 different nationalities each with their languages but the basic rule was, learn English. Interestingly enough, one woman, in her mid 40s from Southern Libya, was not even functionally literate, not even in her own language, but could converse in seven different languages including Egyptian, French, Arabic, Tamazight and her native dialect, as well as English, even at low level and improving. I would give technical instruction and one of the Palestinian kids would translate it for me, Moodle is used there, very successfully, but I only ever saw it in English. 

But this is good for all of us to know, Visvanath, thanks for the tip!

In reply to Colin Fraser

Hi Colin

No need to feel "exposed". The discussion just reminded us how diverse learning environments are! The example of the Libyan woman who could speak seven language without writing in a single one, is beyond my imagination. I start a learning a language with its alphabet (and get absorbed in them).

Coming back to the topic, Moodle has an elegant concept, the language packs, right from the beginning. It works beautifully, up to about 4 or 5 languages. The basic system is not easily scalable beyond. That is not criticism, think of the task of writing a handout in seven languages- in any technology!

by Narit B -

Hi Visvanath Ratnaweera

Thank you for your information and good to know that Moodle already has all kinds of switches to control its multilingual behavior.

May I ask what is the best way or solution for Moodle Language function standard for this platform?  

Is it should be before or after login?

Thank you once again.

In reply to Narit B

Hi

You are starting with seven languages, without having the slightest idea of the multilingual capabilities of Moodle! My advise, start small, say with two, English and Thai.

- You don't need to uninstall the other languages, just set the Languages on language menu (langlist).

- Set the Default language (lang) to English or Thai

- Set Language autodetect (autolang) ON

- In courses, set Force language as appropriate.

- Go through the language settings in the Authentication plug-in(s)

As already mentioned, visit the Languages forum, read its documentation and recent posts.

P.S. I don't know, why we are in the General help forum, not in the Languages forum.

P.P.S. It is nice to talk to a person by (real) name. You will get longer replies then.

by Narit B -

Hi Visvanath,

Thank you for your information and recommendation. 

Thank you 

In reply to Narit B

Hi

You are welcome! If any of the posts were useful, you can rate them as "Useful". (See the drop-down element called "Rate".)

Don't hesitate to ask, as you go on. Moodle has a rich set of features to support different languages. Next time, make it a point to post in the Languages forum.

by Narit B -

Noted with thanks.