SCORM's API cannot be found

SCORM's API cannot be found

by Fransiskus Nugraha -
Number of replies: 3

Hi there,

I am not sure what is the problem here, but i am taking over a system that is using Moodle 1.9.8. I uploaded a courseware that is using SCORM 1.2. and whenever i launched it, it always gave me these error messages:

connection.initialize called. SCORM_API_wrapper.js:807:13
SCORM.API.find: SCORM version 1.2 was specified by user, but API cannot be found. SCORM_API_wrapper.js:807:13
SCORM.API.find: Error finding API. Find attempts: 0. Find attempt limit: 500 SCORM_API_wrapper.js:807:13

Does that mean that this system somehow has no SCORM compliancy or something?

Would there be a way to know whether this system is supporting SCORM or not?

Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this.

Regards,

Frans

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fransiskus Nugraha

Re: SCORM's API cannot be found

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Fransiskus,
first, your Moodle version is actually super old and you could find some other issues w/ SCORM and generally w/ the missing security fixes (8yrs old!!!).

That being said, try not to open the SCORM content in a new window.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Fransiskus Nugraha -

Hi Matteo,

Yes i know! But for some reason, i am not allowed to upgrade it. Fine for me, but that arouse another curiosity now.

Is Moodle 1.9.8 actually SCORM (1.2) compliant in the first place? Is there any way to test this out? Because i actually installed Moodle 3.3 in another server environment and i dont see that error message (i.e.: SCORM API cannot be found bla bla bla).

In reply to Fransiskus Nugraha

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Lets simplify this:

Does Moodle 1.9.8 pass the SCORM 1.2 compliance tests?
No it doesn't.

Does SCORM work in Moodle 1.9.8 with modern browsers?
No it doesn't.

Should Moodle 1.9.8 be used for anything - even if we can't upgrade?
No it shouldn't.

Long answer:
Moodle 1.9.19 might work better with SCORM but you're better to fire up a new site using a supported moodle version (3.3 would be a good idea) and migrate the content over using course backups.

I hear you say "but the site has all sorts of unknown custom code that we don't want to lose"
Tough. Set up a new site, migrate your content and then post here about the features you have lost/things that are missing and people in the community will make suggestions to help you get those features back using newer supported plugins. (Or get them to find some $$ and contract with a Moodle Partner to help you migrate.)