Moodle 3.3.5 and problems doing backup

Moodle 3.3.5 and problems doing backup

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

i was using Moodle 3.3.4 with no problem. Since i've installed Moodle 3.3.5, i've got problems doing backups for some courses (a lot) ; other courses backup well.

Automatic backups fails, manual backup (and importation) are also concerned.

When doing a backup (with everything), when trying to go to the step 3 (confirmation), i got an error message : error/setting_invalid_filename

For the moment, i've not found where the problem comes from.

Do other people have the same problem? Ideas about it? A solution?

Séverin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: Moodle 3.3.5 and problems doing backup

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

With debugging activated, here's what i get (for an exemple course) :

error/setting_invalid_filename

Plus d'informations sur cette erreur

Debug info:
Error code: setting_invalid_filename
$a contents: sauvegarde-moodle2-course-83-m2_dmse_-_ue3-théorie_des_organisations_-p4_foad-20180321-1633.mbz
Stack trace:
  • line 462 of /backup/util/settings/base_setting.class.php: base_setting_exception thrown
  • line 166 of /backup/util/settings/base_setting.class.php: call to base_setting->validate_value()
  • line 456 of /backup/util/ui/backup_ui_stage.class.php: call to base_setting->set_value()
  • line 137 of /backup/util/ui/base_ui_stage.class.php: call to backup_ui_stage_confirmation->initialise_stage_form()
  • line 180 of /backup/util/ui/base_ui.class.php: call to base_ui_stage->display()
  • line 165 of /backup/backup.php: call to base_ui->display()
Séverin

PS : for people reading french, you can look at this related discussion (in french)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Don't speak French ... wish I did sometimes ... haven't experienced the same problem myself so this is a 'sluething guess' just looking at what it's showing in debug ...

setting_invalid_filename and it's the name of the backup file.

sauvegarde-moodle2-course-83-m2_dmse_-_ue3-théorie_des_organisations_-p4_foad-20180321-1633.mbz

The backup settings have options for what to name the backup file ... .mbz is the extension.  so in those one could opt to use course shortname, etc..

I see a 'é' in the backup file name which should be ok, but the other items that involve a '-'?

'_-_' and '_-p4' ...

what if you changed the shortname/longname of the course removing the "spacedashspace' or 'spacedash' in front of p4 - in other words ... remove the dashes and use only one space.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi Ken,

and thanks for your answer and suggestion.

For what i've seen, some other courses containing same signs work well.

But i've discovered that all courses in error (in automatic backup) have a shortname over a certain value, and thus a backup filename over a certain value, which seems to break the backup processus (now).

I'll have to do more tests to confirm the value.

And then, the need to understand what changes between Moodle 3.3.4 and 3.3.5 which make backups impossible.

Séverin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't know if this is relevant but I did see a tracker issue about backup file names over 255 characters - is this anything to do with your problem? https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-33886

(Whatever it is, it is fixed for 3.34 mixed so maybe not...)

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle 3.3.5 - impossible to make backup when course shortname is "long"

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your help, but i'm not concerned by this issue.

I've rather created MDL-61723 for this new problem.

Séverin